Sponge filter questions...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So I see sponge filters are very commonly used by many members here.
Was wondering what you guys are using?

I am liking the ones at the Co-Op because of the coarse sponge
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collec...p-coarse-sponge-filter?variant=29459428507717

I like ATI products too because you can get replacement parts from Kens
ED365C9B-F5D6-4BAF-89C8-E4EB6D5D72C7.jpeg

Im thinking about the empty 30 gallon and what could be done with it.... I would need a light and filter and this would be a cheap filter.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I use ATI HYDRO sponge filters in all my smaller tanks, and really like them, but be sure to get the PRO version. The pic in your post shows the regular version, which seems to be the one in this Amazon link-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002602SM/?tag=wafishbox-20

This is not the one you want. The PRO version has a coarser and much more efficient sponge, as shown in the pic and link below-

81CnHfzDG3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Sponge-Premium-Reticulated-Aquariums-Gallons/dp/B0855DZYBB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=hydro+sponge+filter+pro+version&qid=1613518432&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-3&th=1

You can clearly see that the PRO version has a coarser sponge, which is more efficient and doesn't clog as easily. The PRO version is also less expensive, at least in these Amazon links. Go figure.

I use the two largest filters in my tanks; one IV sponge filter in my 20g tanks, and two V sponge filters in my 40g Long tanks. The 20's are just quarantine/hospital tanks, so the filters run on air stones. The V's in the 40L's are run with powerheads, and do a great job. Been running these sponges for years, and have yet to replace a sponge. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @sir_keith that was info I was looking for! What power heads do you use on them?

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Thanks @sir_keith that was info I was looking for! What power heads do you use on them?
I use either AquaClear 30 or AquaClear 50 powerheads, depending on how much water circulation I want in the tank. The 30's are nice because they come with little baffles that you can attach to the output to direct the water flow.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A sponge and power head are getting into the aquaclear 70 hob price range... If I used my existing air pump with a sponge filter then Im staying in the cheap range of set up.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
A sponge and power head are getting into the aquaclear 70 hob price range... If I used my existing air pump with a sponge filter then Im staying in the cheap range of set up.
An airstone-driven sponge filter is fine for a tank with a relatively light bioload. I had extra powerheads sitting around anyway, so it was a no-brainer for me...

sir_keith

Legendary Member

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I mentioned to the wife that I have the space to keep the 30 gallon and there was no issues, lol. So I will get it set up! lol

Still need to figure on my filter...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
So I mentioned to the wife that I have the space to keep the 30 gallon and there was no issues, lol. So I will get it set up! lol

Still need to figure on my filter...
if she is like my wife... as long as she doesn’t have to maintain and that I don’t spend the entire weekend working on tanks she doesn’t care what I have or do

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
if she is like my wife... as long as she doesn’t have to maintain and that I don’t spend the entire weekend working on tanks she doesn’t care what I have or do
I think my wife has just given up, lol

Having my ‘problem’ fish like my puffers that require solo tanks has made it challenging. The 30 getting set up lets me keep my arrowhead and opens up tanks for some possible grow out needs. Im trying to decide if the puffer should get an AC70 hob or just eat up some tank space with a sponge filter.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to order an aquaclear 70 for the 30 gallon and put an Aquarium Co-Op prefilter on it. It was on sale on Amazon and I had gift cards to use. I plan on setting the 30 up for the puffer and he is pretty inactive so this should work well.