POLL - How many tanks do you have running?

How many tanks do you have running?

• Total voters

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ive always wanted to do a poll here and see how many tanks our members have running...
I figured this section would be the best place for it since it helps us get to know each other better.

You are allowed to change your vote since this number can and does change.

Rules: Pretty much the definition of 'tank(s)' includes any container holding water and a living organism (shrimp, fish, other.... I think plant starts should count... lol / but we wont count them. Okay to count a tank in cycle with intentions of fish as long as it has water and is running)

Feel free to post your comments below as to the breakdown on what you have.

Some inspiration meme for your votes
7BB7994B-AA5B-416B-8899-8F8BA76CFC2F.jpeg

10.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I will start with my tanks.
4 total - 300G x1 / 65B x2 / 20L x1

Future goal/project in works
5 total - 300G x1 / 75G x2 / 65B x2 / - then Im done!

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I have been keeping fishes all my life. It's a familiar story: it started with a 'free' goldfish from the local department store when I was 8 or 9. There was a fishbowl, then a 5 gallon tank, then a 10; well, you get the idea. In college I kept a few small tanks of dwarf cichlids, but then in graduate school the Mbuna started to show up in this country, and I was hooked! During graduate school and subsequent postdoctoral work I was only a few hours away from JFK or LaGuardia, where all the 'Africans' were arriving, and I also had a friend who had an 'in' with Jack Freiberg in NJ, so we got to see all the new fishes firsthand. Fun times.

I subsequently moved to LA for my first faculty position, and that was the only time in my life that I didn't keep fishes. But when I moved to Seattle in 1987, the first thing I did was buy a boat, and the second was buy an aquarium, a 75 gallon acrylic show tank that I still have. I stocked it with Mbuna, and it all began anew. For a time I was keeping about 25 tanks, and was breeding Tropheus and selling fry to Kevin at A Place for Pets in Burien, but I scaled back after that was no longer an option.

After moving to a new home on the 'other side' of Puget Sound in 2012, I set aside space for a fish room, but promised myself that I would only keep about a dozen tanks, all of them in the fish room. That almost worked. I now have 13 tanks in total- 11 in the fish room (which take up all the wall space), 1 in my TV room, and 1 in my living room (the 75 show tank from 1987). It was pretty much all Tropheus eight years ago, but now I'm down to four Tropheus tanks, and the remainder are Tanganyikan featherfins and sand sifters. The tank tally is two 125's, one 100, one 75L, four 55's, three 40L's, and two 20H's. I also have a bunch of 20H's and 10's in storage. This is just the right number of tanks for me right now, but there is a nice 8-foot space in my study that I keep eyeing... :whistle

whatthebloody

I have a planted vase with cherry shrimp
5 gallon fluval chi with a few nano fish and java fern growing (trying to grow i should say)
Two 3 gallon tanks with moss

Close to starting a 12 gallon long reef :)....never done saltwater

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have a planted vase with cherry shrimp
5 gallon fluval chi with a few nano fish and java fern growing (trying to grow i should say)
Two 3 gallon tanks with moss

Close to starting a 12 gallon long reef :)....never done saltwater
You should do a write up on the reef when you get it going. Ive always wanted to do salt...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have been keeping fish for over 15 years. I started with 2 red eared sliders from China Town in NYC. I started reading aquarium books, especially those about planted aquariums. I was working as a mechanic in Colorado at $12/hr which didn't cover hobby expenses so I took a part time job at a local fish store. The 10g lost its ability to hold water and I was able to upgrade to a used 50 breeder. Several inches of dirt and fine gravel later I had Amazon swords growing out the top. With my part time job I purchased a Fluval canister and a Coralife PC light and powerstrip with built in timer.
We moved back to NYC where I took a job working for NY Aquarium Service, now Manhattan Aquarium. I could now purchase at wholesale prices. I had the 50B and a 20g hex that I had resealed. The hex tank was Cherry barbs, White clouds, and Rasboras with a branch covered in Java Fern. Unfortunately, for the hex a visitor to our apartment building tripped and fell into the tank and it broke. The 50B continued being a planted tank with a variety of fish as I could trade them out like changing underwear. I would buy fish at the wholesale get tired of them and take them to the office to be sold to clients. Great times. Eventually, I was able to get my dream fish, Discus. I purchased several over time before I had success at keeping them alive. I did purchase a pair of Flame Orange discus from a fellow on Long Is. for $300 which almost got me killed upon returning home. At one time I did have 3 tanks running in our apartment.
Two years in NYC was enough and we moved to the Portland area. I had a 65g reef tank with a wet/dry sump, a 45 Oceanic long hex and an antique 5g with metal frame. When I moved to Colorado and then to NYC I transported the fish in buckets, but I had to have my fish shipped to Vancouver as I flew while the wife drove the Uhaul. I did hand carry the 5g as checked luggage. I don't remember what fish were in it.
Nine months later we were living in Aburne and my 65g was destroyed in the move. Unable to replace the 65g, I was able to keep the flame discus but the 4 wild caught discus I acquired from the Wet Spot were taken to a lfs. The wild discus had started eating for me but once moved to the lfs store the ceased and failed to thrive.
We moved Tacoma where I only ever had a single tank. I was able to acquire a 75g somehow.
-PAXP-deijE.gif
Now I have 7 aquariums. 100g Shellies, 90g Dollars and Angels, 35 Bowfront Gouramis, loaches, and goldfish, 55g betta, guppies, white clouds, and 29g x2 guppies and one with shrimp
-PAXP-deijE.gif
Found some pics on my old FB that I no longer frequent.
222283_1048454611901_3139_n.jpg 196507_1012536793978_9226_n.jpg 197015_1012536553972_7567_n.jpg 200487_1012535753952_7415_n.jpg 208587_1012536313966_5925_n.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 220, 180, 125, 4x 75 (or six if you count my sons turtle tank and my classroom bearded dragon), 3x 40b, 35g, 2x29

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Mine is so boring! I rescued him last summer and I’m not sure that’s what I want to keep in my science classroom

Ours is a CL rescue too. Female. She was in a 5g that stunk so bad I almost didn’t make it home from Winco. Army guy moved away leaving his girlfriend to deal with his 2 beardies.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@Colin James, loving that old stainless steel framed tank. Been looking for one myself. Would love to have one old retro tank like that.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Since others posted some pics I decided I should too, lol.

Old pic of the 300g in my living room
IMG_20180224_120403397.jpg

The 65B in the office with the hairy puffer
IMG_20181006_105819256.jpg

The 65B in the garage with arrowhead puffer the 20L below which has 3 Petsmart red Devil growouts
D601FD82-9EE5-481C-AA5B-353AF443A4D9.jpeg

The goal is to do a tank rack set up in the garage so things will change.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That 300 is one of the nicest 'big tank' setups I've ever seen! Really like the way the canopy is so slim; many of them are these god-awful top-heavy things that look terrible. :eek:
Thank you. The canopy was tall and horrible looking. I took the saw to it!

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Thank you. The canopy was tall and horrible looking. I took the saw to it!
Nice work. I guess now that we have ultra-slim LED light fixtures, those top-heavy canopies are a thing of the past. Thankfully.

I do have a 30+ year-old setup in my living room, but even that plexi canopy barely clears my LED fixtures.

IMGP6025.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work. I guess now that we have ultra-slim LED light fixtures, those top-heavy canopies are a thing of the past. Thankfully.

I do have a 30+ year-old setup in my living room, but even that plexi canopy barely clears my LED fixtures.

View attachment 5601
Love the sleek look of that tank and canopy!

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Love the sleek look of that tank and canopy!
As I mentioned, the tank and canopy came from The Fish Store in Seattle in 1987. I got the nice stand from @FishBeast relatively recently. That little alcove doesn't leave any room for external filters, so filtration is by three Eheim 2217 canisters. The whole setup is virtually silent; not so important for a fish room, but nice for a living room. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am at now at the 5 tanks stage... 300g x 1, 75g x 1, 65B x 2, 20L x 1

Hopefully will hit the 6 tank stage in January, waiting for next Petco sale. Looking to add a 40B or another 75g then.