PokeSephiroth's 120 Gallon Breeder Tank

What an adventure! My friend had his 120 gallon tank set up for saltwater, but he decided that he wanted to downsize to a smaller tank and go back to freshwater, so he contacted me and asked me if I wanted his 120 gallon. HECK YES I WANTED HIS 120 GALLON TANK AND STAND!

We ended up trading his tank for my 40 gallon acrylic tank with 20 gallon sump w/ stand! How exciting!

Here is the 120 gallon tank, still set up at my friend's house.

After taking the Ferry from Kingston to Edmonds, we drove up to Snohomish County to trade our tanks. The 120 tank and stand were so big, that we had to strap the stand on the roof of the Ford Escape (the tank measures 4' x 2' x 2'). Crazy.

We got back to Bremerton with no problems. Unloaded the stand and tank in our garage. I plan on taking all the fish in my 100 gallon tank, and placing them into the 120 gallon. Once the 100 gallon is empty, I will probably sell it.

The next day, I scrapped of fall the algae and nerite snail eggs from the tank, and made sure the silicone seams were still in good shape. Afterwards, I spray painted the back of the tank with black Plasti-Dip spray paint. This stuff is amazing. :D

After letting the paint dry, it was time to move it into the house. We decided to replace the 40 gallon breeder tank that housed the axolotls and moved them into the garage for the time being. So now the 120 gallon tank is set up in that room. I can't wait to fill it up with water and transfer all the fish from the 100 gallon, into the 120! Sweet!

In addition to the tank, my friend also gave me one of his LED lights that was used for his saltwater setup. Not sure if I can use this for freshwater, but I definitely didn't want to turn down his offer. Looks like it's an Apollo Reef LED light fixture, I'm not sure what the model is, because there's no writing on it, other than the brand name. He said that he paid $500 each, and he had two, but said that he'd give me one. I looked online and saw that you can buy them used for about $200+ The light looks like it has white light, and actinic blue lights, which I'm guessing is meant for coral. So, who knows...maybe I'll just hold on to it for now.
(Not my photo, but this is how the LED fixture looks like)

He also gave me a HUGE UV Sterilizer that's meant for ponds. It might be a little overkill for a 120 gallon tank, but hey... he was giving it away, so why not? LOL!

Well, that's all for now. The tank is sitting in the house, and I'm happy. I will start to fill it up with water, and then hopefully transfer all the substrate and decor from the 100 gallon, to the 120 gallon sometime during the week. :D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    498.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    478 KB · Views: 101
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    481.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 101

anthony

It looks like that tank will get a lot of light there. You should consider the uv ,It's a blessing. Tank looks good!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
If you plan to make it planted you will need a different light from what I've read online. But hey, score on the tank, stand and extras!

Caseyf

Nice score. I like the plasti-dip idea. I've heard about it, but just haven't had a chance to do it. Maybe next tank...

Thanks, everyone! Today is the day I fill the tank up with water! How exciting!

As for the light, luckily, I can control which lights to turn on (basically, there's one switch that turns on the 6,500k white LEDs, and then another switch that turns on, some sort of blue....actinic KEDs, and then a third switch that turns on moonlights (an ugly blue).

I'm hoping that the white lights should be okay. If not, I have a dual t5HO fixture that I could use. Which, I'm assuming will be considered low-medium light, for a tank this deep (24").

Attachments

• 11358636_10206628806818231_1345144658_n.jpg
    11358636_10206628806818231_1345144658_n.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 62

anthony

Poke, you gotta paint the stand bro! An $8 dollar can of black satin rustoleum and a $1 foam brush and that bad boy will look like it just came out of the showroom! Black tank, black stand, black back is the way to go . Go for the show piece effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thecarl

6500K's are probably a little too blue, it will grow algae a lot better than plants. Past two years, LED and plants I have learned a lot about. :D

Welps, I transferred everything from the 100 gallon, to the 120 gallon! Everyone looks happy! I'm curious if they will notice the extra width and height, vs the 1' they are losing in length... All seems well... the tank actually looks more "empty" than it did in the 100 gallon. How odd. I guess that just means MORE FISH. :D

I would like to get rid of the two caves, but I can't do so until I find new homes for my 3 giant striped raphael cats. Once they're gone, I can start focusing on scaping this beast... and dare I say it... convert it into a planted tank (most likely going to just stick to a low tech setup).

Here's a craptastic shot I took just now. Picture doesn't do it justice... eh.

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 22