Online retailer: Sand City Cichlids

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Really is no specific area to put up reviews on online retailers so I just posted this one up in the section that it applied to best and that was African cichlids.

I will start this one off with the fact I was doing a ton of research first before starting up my 'shell dweller' tank.
This led me to just using Google where I found the website https://www.sandcitycichlids.com/

Looking at their offerings its clear that they specialize in smaller African cichlids with many more choices when it comes to 'Shellies' then Wet Spot or Imperial Tropicals where I normally would order fish from.

I did contact them first via the 'Chat with us' asking about shipping cost. My response came pretty quick and they suggested to just use the website and it would calculate it for me. Likely because these are small fish going out in fairly small boxes its easy to set up UPS this way. So the basic flat rate Next day air UPS was $60 for my order. There was a coupon available that was "Save10" which I dont currently see running so it must be an occasional special. Using this on the group buy essentially brought down shipping costs to $35.40! That was an awesome $24.60 in savings!

So what all was ordered? 14 fish total

@DMD123
Lamprologus Occelatus Gold6$90.00
Alto. Calvus Inkfin 1.5 inch1$16.00
Screenshot_20210424-175501_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210529-183053_Gallery-680x628.jpg

@fishguy1978
Altolamprologus Compressiceps Sumbu F15$110.00
FB_IMG_1623352312276-680x510.jpg

@lloyd378
Altolamprologus Compressiceps Orange Chaitika1$14.00
Altolamprologus Comprecisseps Gold Head F11$16.00
20210628_153605-680x690.jpg Screenshot_20210529-183817_Gallery-680x671 GH.jpg

I was a bit disappointed that the website says they ship Monday through Wednesday and when I got my Invoice it said the fish ship out on Wednesdays. They also say the shipment goes out at 5pm (Ohio time?) and they would send you the tracking after that. Well for me I received my UPS notice at about 11am this morning that said the fish were coming it at 10:30am tomorrow, so that was pretty awesome!

Will post pics when order comes in and post thoughts on packaging and quality of fish.

Will also use this thread to post more in regard to any follow up if we have DOA fish or any other required communications.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Some additional thoughts:
Sand City Cichlids does offer F1 & F2 on some of their fishes, not commonly offered elsewhere.

Also noticed that some fish are listed as "imported from Czech Republic" so they have connections... (maybe Czech Fish Mafia, lol)

Also carry other small fishes like BN Plecos, Rams and Apistos

They have a Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/SandCityCichlids/

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot the one thing I hate about next day air deliveries... because of the nature of the delivery you don't really get an up to the minute tracking on it. It basically just shows as "On the way" and then next thing you know its there and delivered. Can you tell Im eager to get my fish? lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im hating UPS right now. They send the email that says it is a 10:30am delivery, My wife texts me at 11 there is a UPS truck in our driveway, so I leave work and am on the freeway and she lets me know the truck sat for about 8 minutes then left and did not deliver anything. So I see they have a 'live' location of the truck available and it is somewhat in the area so I wait, and wait... nothing. My wife said there was some 'fine print' that the 10:30am was business and for residential was 12, well that didnt happen. So as of 2 pm no fish yet. @fishguy1978 waited around with me till 12:30 which was nice but I wish he could have got his fish too. Ugh, this mess has nothing to do with Sand City Cichlids who process and shipped the order just fine, just UPS being UPS.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im thinking the package was put on a normal route for next day delivery which I believe means before 5pm. Likely they will be there after Im off work.

I didnt waste my time at home and did a couple water changes as I waited.

I popped in a divider into the 30 and took out the shells in that section for your fish @lloyd378. So no rush if you cant get fish tonight.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So the live view of the truck was wrong... A plain car pulled up with a plain clothes person wearing a UPS ID tag. She apologized for the late delivery and said they were still at the station and she realized they were live fish. I think it was a supervisor who dropped them off.

So this was the first thing you see when you open the box
IMG_20210902_170103567.jpg
Inside after pulling off Styrofoam
IMG_20210902_170134272.jpg
No extra packing or anything... but everything was good
IMG_20210902_170324113.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378 fishes, well one, I forgot to get a pic of the orange
IMG_20210902_175138773.jpg
Im going to say it... This F1 Gold Head was my absolute favorite on this order. It was an outstanding looking fish... kind of wish I would have got this instead of my inkfin.
IMG_20210902_175209681.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been fun watching these guys try to figure out territories. Lots of gill flares and chases at the moment. Glad I got the lace rock ‘cave’, the fish have ducked in there a few times.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I sent a Thank you email to Sand City for the great fish. I did mention the UPS issue. Not expecting anything from it but just thought they should know. They may be eligible for credit back if it was not delivered within terms.

So overall very happy with the order, only minor gripe was that they mixed the one orange and inkfin alto in same bag. Thankfully different enough looking to differentiate them. Would have been nice if they would have packed these solo but again a minor gripe, nothing else.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Someone at UPS screwed up...
Screenshot 2021-09-03 083339.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-03 083442.jpg
I think it was out of the goodness of someone's heart that they saw it was 'live' animals and brought the package out to me. In UPS's system its still floating around out there to be delivered. Again I dont hold this against Sand City Cichlids at all. This was the shippers (UPS) issues. This well could have been an entire order of DOA fish....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sand City Cichlids Labor Day SALE! - Another group buy? lol

Labor Day sale starting now through Sunday only!!! save 15% on your entire order by using coupon code " Labor Day " at checkout!!

sir_keith

Legendary Member

Labor Day sale starting now through Sunday only!!! save 15% on your entire order by using coupon code " Labor Day " at checkout!!

I would have been tempted to go for a group of Xenotilapia (Enantiopus) melanogenys Kasanga, but they have only five unsexed fishes, although at 2.5" you should be able to distinguish males from females. :(

Five of these would be nice in a 65, however. :whistle

Enantiopus-melanogenys-Utinta.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Someone at UPS screwed up...
View attachment 10014

View attachment 10015
I think it was out of the goodness of someone's heart that they saw it was 'live' animals and brought the package out to me. In UPS's system its still floating around out there to be delivered. Again I dont hold this against Sand City Cichlids at all. This was the shippers (UPS) issues. This well could have been an entire order of DOA fish....
I’d be ok if they sent a second shipment. Haha

cjag

If you're serious I might be interested. Good looking fish btw.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I’d be ok if they sent a second shipment. Haha
If I was not an honest person it could be done… there is no trace of it. I think it was a caring person who saw that it was live animals and went a bit out of the way to get them to me.

If you're serious I might be interested. Good looking fish btw.
lol, was very tempted after I saw the fish to do it. A nice little group of julie…
But cant right now.