New Jewel Tank

Ratlova30

When he was was pale(in my avatar pic) he looked male, as the spots were going all the way down his tail but when he got darker he looks female but I'm used to called him a male. I don't think he care one way or the other :) He is a very incredibly gorgeous fish, he came with a tank I got off CL close to a year ago.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I wish more people would dubb over the tank noise with music... all the water sounds always makes me want to pee. :joker:

Looking good!

Ratlova30

@DMD-Sorry, my now daily headaches/migraines make it hard to maintain more then one tank at a time before the next one hits. I don't top off my tanks with water when it evaporates, I just do a water change because I can't stand poody swirling when I dump in water. Thanks for the comment!

@iandraco-Thanks!

@aquaman-Thanks, he is a tad spoiled. I'm just glad he came out while the camera was out, he can be shy of new things and people.

@pbmax- Thanks!

Kaosu

aahahahaah funny >.> no space for bullies!!!

we are getting pretty deep in to the killifish ..ssooo pretty

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I joke with everyone about the water sounds. It funny how loud it sounds when we record it and then play it back. But it never sounds like that to me when Im actually in front of the tanks. Its just weird I tell you. :scratch:

I really do appreciate seeing tanks that are planted. There is such realism that you can not get with plastic. The whole thing just feels like a true slice of nature. One day I might try my hand at a planted tank but for now I will admire the work of others. So when I say 'looking good', I mean it. Planted tanks are just awesome.

pbmax

Just about any tank can grow floating plants - frogbit, water lettuce, giant duckweed (NOT the little stuff... unless you're into that sort of thing I guess), etc. They're fantastic for water quality and fish love the shade. :)

Ratlova30

I can't grow floating plants in that Jewel tank, same with my mothers tank. Even when I didn't have airstones going everything floating died. I think there just isn't strong enough lighting in those tanks. Never even bothered trying floating plants in the HRP tank. It's an eclipse tank with a built in the filter in the hood. The whole tank is basically a whirl pool with it plugged in.

pbmax

Yeah, I know - this was directed at DMD123. :)

Light is pretty important, and tons of surface flow can make them a bit unhappy. I grow them pretty well in a couple tanks I have with canisters + spraybars, but I'm never short on light. My 20g in the garage has 39w of 6500k CFL lighting and the entire surface is covered with frogbit.

Ratlova30

I know, well not Jewel cichlid related but I was walking past the HRP tank and I noticed that all the fish weren't swimming around begging for food. So I look into all the craters that they've dug and didn't see any eggs and then when my eyes focused enough(not wearing glasses) I realized there's a whole gaggle of babies swimming around. Different mama this time, and she's gorgeous with jet black bold stripes.

I was just about to do a darn water change on that tank. So I guess I will suck out most of the babies, top off the tank because the water is super low and then wait for the babies that I left in there to be consumed so that I can do a water change.

@jenreuter-Thanks!

Ratlova30

It sure is difficult dealing with the babies when they are so small, they go right through the slits in the breeder box. My platy fry are way bigger when first born and I don't have a problem with them. But yeah hopefully I'll have some interest on the fry as it's looking like I'll have bunches. I didn't see the eggs because they dug a hole under that car...

aquaman95

I know you will get those baby's off so fast.Are you on MFK.com I know they would love to get their hands on some pure HRP's?