New Guy Here

Bulldogger1

Anyone else end up going deep into different wormholes when they become interested in it? That would be me. Another hobby is bonsai and I ended up deep diving into fish keeping from a little research I did into koi. LOL

Anyway, I have an interest in all sorts of different kinds of freshwater fish from different continents. I travel a lot for work and try and stop into different local fish stores and well known places whenever I can. Have flown back several times with fish as carry on. Most recently, I was in the Chicagoland area and took a drive up to Freshwater Exotics to see their operation and the fish in person. Before that, I stopped by Extreme Fish in Houston and Monster Aquarium in NYC. Love hitting the local fish stores in the So Cal area as the selection can be very interesting - Van Star Aquatics.

Orthopod

Anyone else end up going deep into different wormholes when they become interested in it? That would be me. Another hobby is bonsai and I ended up deep diving into fish keeping from a little research I did into koi. LOL

Anyway, I have an interest in all sorts of different kinds of freshwater fish from different continents. I travel a lot for work and try and stop into different local fish stores and well known places whenever I can. Have flown back several times with fish as carry on. Most recently, I was in the Chicagoland area and took a drive up to Freshwater Exotics to see their operation and the fish in person. Before that, I stopped by Extreme Fish in Houston and Monster Aquarium in NYC. Love hitting the local fish stores in the So Cal area as the selection can be very interesting - Van Star Aquatics.
I love going to Fish stores when I’m on a trip as well. Made my wife stop in a fish store in London on a stop over on our honeymoon lol.

I order from freshwater exotics and monster fish fairly frequently. On a tangent, I would love to go on fresh water exotics trip to the xingu collecting - I have collected fish in The Peruvian Amazon before.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Welcome @Bulldogger1

Pretty much every trip I go on involves visits to local fish stores if possible. My last trip visiting family in Ecuador involved looking up a “store” which turned out to be a hobbyist who was just starting up a tank building business. Was a nice visit. I would love to go on a collection trip when I visit again but no sure on how to legally get fish out…

Bulldogger1

I seriously looked into joining Freshwater Exotics on an expedition down there but the trip cost is $3 K plus airfare. I mean you only live once but I still asked a couple of buddies in Brazil if there are other options and I was directed to a couple of companies that specialize in taking tourists fishing on the Amazon and it wasn’t that much. I imagine a collecting trip is not something they do unless specifically asked and paid for. Probably have to pay an exporter to ship to a transhipper here.

Orthopod

I have been collecting in Peru with Devon Graham with project Amazona.

Here are 2 trips available this year.

Attachments

• 69FD8E54-8AF7-46FE-8464-C3762133083B.png
    69FD8E54-8AF7-46FE-8464-C3762133083B.png
    448.6 KB · Views: 4