My new wild caught convict pictures (Here you go DMD)

Chiisai

fishNAbowl said:
I think technically the fry would be F1 feeders.
yes I suppose your right, I was more just amused at the idea of buying WC fish to use for feeding other possibly store bought fish. Sorry I guess I just expected you were reading my mind

Nick_87

If they are a cleaning a spot then you'll have eggs in a few days. When I got my cons they were less than 1" and by the end of week one I had 3 pairs spawn. :scratch: Never thought it was possible either haha!  

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I wasn't saying I was going to feed my wc or f1 fry to other fish... Lol

I was saying that if I needed feeders I'd go buy a pair from a lfs for 5 bucks and go that route..... You two crack me up!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I actually already have f2 fry ..... Since it's been four days and all :)

A

Anonymous

Chiisai said:
fishNAbowl said:
I think technically the fry would be F1 feeders.
yes I suppose your right, I was more just amused at the idea of buying WC fish to use for feeding other possibly store bought fish. Sorry I guess I just expected you were reading my mind
 :D 

A

Anonymous

If I had a big tank set up I would totally be into F1 Convicts!!

Chiisai

fishNAbowl said:
I dont understand why a "big tank"? Or maybe I should ask what your idea of a big tank is. I have read of people breeding em in a 10gal though general thought is 29gal+??? I dunno I got a few pairs like 2 weeks ago(already have prolly 100fry) and still learning.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Having F1's available soon is exciting enough.  :cheers: 

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Im guessing big tank for convicts would be 75g plus! Mine are in a 40g ..... And I think I'll get them into a 55 at some point...... Years ago when i was in college, there was a sweet 8ft tank in the science hall that housed about 30 convicts! It was beautiful to watch them all interact .....

And I know that fishnabowl always makes sure his fish are taken care of and that they also have more than enough space.

Chiisai

lloyd378 said:
Im guessing big tank for convicts would be 75g plus!  Mine are in a 40g ..... And I think I'll get them into a 55 at some point...... Years ago when i was in college, there was a sweet 8ft tank in the science hall that housed about 30 convicts!  It was beautiful to watch them all interact .....
And I know that fishnabowl always makes sure his fish are taken care of and that they also have more than enough space.
I guess overstocking would keep down aggression but 30 convicts? Wow seems like that would cause aggression injuries

A

Anonymous

Chiisai said:
fishNAbowl said:
I dont understand why a "big tank"? Or maybe I should ask what your idea of a big tank is. I have read of people breeding em in a 10gal though general thought is 29gal+??? I dunno I got a few pairs like 2 weeks ago(already have prolly 100fry) and still learning.
Well, one day when my wife says okay I plan on getting a BIG tank (3-450 gallons). With pike cichlids , peacock bass , and medium sized catfish roaming around. It would be neat to have rubble here and there with WC convicts living in them, pike living along the woods and large Java and Anubias, and bass roaming the top of the tank. Is my dream....

Chiisai

ooh yeah. I always thought if I could get my hands on like a 800-1500gal tank preferably larger footprint rather then deep... I would see how many fish I could put into it to make a kind of biotope ya know? Maybe take some community fish and cichlids from any given SA country and let em do their thing. I dunno it would prolly fail miserable but I am sure the convicts would outbreed/outlast everything for sure!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Back to the convicts.... I just went in to feed them and noticed that their two tankmates were kind of on edge.... I also noticed both convicts swimming in unison with one at a time darting at their tankmates. I them looked closer and saw around 50 fry swimming about completely unaware of the dangers on the other side of the tank. ( I just finished relocating the tankmates to my sons tank....). I post up some new pics tomorrow morning or Monday.

A

Anonymous

lloyd378 said:
Back to the convicts.... I just went in to feed them and noticed that their two tankmates were kind of on edge.... I also noticed both convicts swimming in unison with one at a time darting at their tankmates. I them looked closer and saw around 50 fry swimming about completely unaware of the dangers on the other side of the tank.   ( I just finished relocating the tankmates to my sons tank....). I post up some new pics tomorrow morning or Monday.  
 :spoton: - Very cool, can't wait for pictures.