My Bichirs!

FishBeast

@FishBeast, are you still on vacation? Hurry up! I want you to order some more bichirs! lol, peer pressure ;)
hahaha I'm back! I got too busy with work catching up... I just realized I have to set up a separate tank to observe the newcomers first before I even think about ordering them... Although I will call Wet Spot to see if they are still there. ;)

FishBeast

Latest member of the gang! Polypterus weeksii!
IMG_4306.JPG
A bit shy except when it's time to eat.
IMG_4360.JPG
Still has its external gills!
IMG_4369.JPG
Still a baby at 7-8 inches.
IMG_4363.JPG

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Awesome! Weeksii really are one of my favorite polys. They have that comical look about them and are pretty easy going. They also retain gills for a long time. I got mine at 7" and it had gills till over 12". You did get one with nice color and stripes.

Is the weeksii in with the lap and ornate? How is it doing?

FishBeast

@DMD123 you are right, they have this comical, derp-eyed look to them. The mouth also seems hilariously big and the head is a funny shape! It is getting along very well with the lap and ornate, as well as the albino sen! No chasing, nipping. They have not dogpiled but are comfortable side by side... Lap's face and nostril are back to normal. Tail almost completely healed!

Just messaged Toyin, no PBB or ansorgii at the moment. Replied in less than a minute! Calling Wet Spot today.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think Toyin may have some wild caught Teugelsi. I think around $200 for 13+" or so. These guys are also very mellow and good in a community. I miss mine but it was captive born and just was not getting large enough to compete with the others. It was about 13" but they have a thin body compared to the lower jaws. If it were 18-20" it would have been fine. But the only way that was going to happen is if I had got a large wild caught to begin with.

The laps are a good choice. The Faranah or Koloton would both be calmer than an endli, lol. My endli can still be a jerk but it is just such an awesome beast of a fish.

FishBeast

I messaged him about the teug... Fingers crossed. Endlis are so aggressive but their heads and jaws just look so primal and to me have that prototypical ancient fish look that we love.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Endlis are so aggressive but their heads and jaws just look so primal and to me have that prototypical ancient fish look that we love.

Primal

Not so primal, lol