Mislabeled fish is…

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So the middle of May this year I picked up these 3 fish labeled as “Bocourti’ from Bridges
F0885AAD-D472-4C78-BE52-5BDEB9DFBA6E.png
The one to the far right in the bag was the largest in the tank and just a bit different where I thought it maybe showing early signs of being a male.

As it grows it just slightly different than the other two, but again just slightly so still thinking male. But at this point I should have seen it but missed it completely. Tail spot and darker spots on stomach…
EAD12EC3-74EA-4A19-A860-935D00BA9095.png

Fairly recently I posted this pic and commented that it looks like… anyone remember? Yes I said it looks like a pearsei. At this point as a person who has raised multiple pearsei should have realized that THIS IS A PEARSEI!!!
F2D2C4B3-9FE0-42E7-9B76-A1F5E84A77C7.png
It wasn’t until today that I absolutely saw it. I was like ‘this looks nothing like the other two’… then I saw the dark belly, tail spot and spangles in the fins and it hit me. I cant believe I didn’t see it sooner.

Well fate had it that even though I was thinking I was going to buy and raise a Bocourti for the 300, a pearsei happens to be the fish that caught my eye that day at Bridges and will again be the focal fish for the 300.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Now in hindsight I see that its a pearsei, looking at the belly color spot, lol
F0885AAD-D472-4C78-BE52-5BDEB9DFBA6E.png

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, me thinks passing on the Tri-cities pearsi back in July was the right call. :cool:
Super cool you got to raise it up.
Yeah, but I didn’t know I had a Pearsei then…and the ones you sent pics of would have been big enough to go in the 300 and not got eaten. Mine is so close to going in but Ive made that mistake before (more than once) thinking a fish is large enough and then he becomes food for Croc the endli. I might shoot for a month of high volume water changes and good feeding and see if I can get him moved.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@fishguy1978, Found that pic you sent me of those two big pearsei. Not even close to full grown and you can tell they are big, thick fish!
IMG_4089.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Little pearsei getting chunky but Im not having a ton of success switching foods. Seems to like the Omega One algae based foods and hates NLS. Not going to fight him at this point. Shooting for growth to be able to move him then when he is moved we will play with the feeding.

All my pearsei over the years got named and this one I haven’t quite figured out yet. Something that goes with its huge appetite and capacity to eat, lol.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Little pearsei getting chunky but Im not having a ton of success switching foods. Seems to like the Omega One algae based foods and hates NLS. Not going to fight him at this point. Shooting for growth to be able to move him then when he is moved we will play with the feeding.

All my pearsei over the years got named and this one I haven’t quite figured out yet. Something that goes with its huge appetite and capacity to eat, lol.
How about Joey chestnut?

D2DFDCD2-DEB8-4560-AF11-69D7B663ADD2.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive been tempted to name another one ‘Porkchop’ after my favorite one…

My last one was ‘Kirby’ like the vacuum cleaner or the video game character that inhaled enemies, lol. I had a ‘Kermit’ because it was especially green and a ‘Frank’ because it had very blue eyes. Im very tempted to stay with the vacuum cleaner name… Im thinking of ‘Hoover’. Or play on the Spanish origins of the fish and its appetite and call him ‘Gordo’ which in Spanish is ‘fat’

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Traded the Bocourti at Pet Works Olympia for a couple apisto for the 46 bowfront. This means that the pearsei has more room to grow and zero competition for food. Hopefully will be able to boost the growth on him and move him to the 300 sooner.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update, With the two Bocourti gone I was expecting a lot more skittishness from the Pearsei but he is doing very well. He is very food driven so he acts a bit shy at first but when the food hits the water, he is much more outgoing. Im super excited to see him grow and cant wait to get him into the 300.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
He is pretty interactive with me, quite the beggar. I jokingly have called him 'Chunkers' which may end up sticking, though I had an Oscar I had named 'Chunk' so Im not sure.

I am very happy I got to raise this one out from a little fish. Really have missed having a big Pearsei in the 300. Now that Ive raised a few, I now realize for some reason at around the 12" mark these guys go through something that is a make or break issue. My last one had the same issue Porkchop had when at that size. They seem to succumb to a bacterial infection for some reason and stop eating. With this current fish Im going to start meds immediately if it stops eating. Will even do the force feed medicated food like I did with Porkchop.

If my 90 gallon opens up soon, might be tempted to move the Pearsei in there to grow out some more. probably see a bit faster growth to be able to get it into the 300 faster.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I don't like 'Hoover' because it recalls a failed presidency, which included the stock market crash and Prohibition. Ugh...

If you want to stay with a vacuum cleaner name, I would suggest 'Miele.' Miele is a company that makes ultra-high-end kitchen appliances, including vacuum cleaners. And although Miele in German is pronounced with two (or three) syllables, Miele in French is pronounced almost exactly like the English word 'meal.' Appropriate, no? Furthermore, the French word 'miel' ('miele' for the feminine form) means 'honey.' :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Still no official name, lol

Pulled all substrate out of the 65B growout and the pearsei did pretty well. I put different gravel in and pulled plastic plants out completely and it didn’t really phase him too much, he still came out for food later and ate like a little piggy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday was the big day, the pearsei went into the 300. I fed the bichirs well that night just in case, lol
IMG_20230115_163601219_HDR.jpg
This morning he is kind of swimming and schooling with the bala's
IMG_20230116_073651671.jpg