Local/invasive/aquatic(?) Weed?

John58Ford

Yes, knowing we are from Washington, "local weed" seems almost inappropriate as a thread title...

I'm looking for possible identification of a weed (?) I have been growing in my mini-rose bed.

Usually I keep the bed clean with the exception of clover; When this thing popped up a few months ago I initially noticed the leaves were a very strange lemon-green, and was curious what it could be.

It is still a brighter yellow than most plants native to here and it "flowered" little tiny pink balls. I figure it's time has about come to be eliminated but have any of you seen this around locally? I half wonder if it's an immersed/emerged plant that may have come from my tanks especially with the off color leaves. I drain my high nutrient water straight into this flower bed, 75-150 gallons weekly...
20211019_135535_HDR~2.jpg

Madness

Staff member
Yes, knowing we are from Washington, "local weed" seems almost inappropriate as a thread title...

I'm looking for possible identification of a weed (?) I have been growing in my mini-rose bed.

Usually I keep the bed clean with the exception of clover; When this thing popped up a few months ago I initially noticed the leaves were a very strange lemon-green, and was curious what it could be.

It is still a brighter yellow than most plants native to here and it "flowered" little tiny pink balls. I figure it's time has about come to be eliminated but have any of you seen this around locally? I half wonder if it's an immersed/emerged plant that may have come from my tanks especially with the off color leaves. I drain my high nutrient water straight into this flower bed, 75-150 gallons weekly...
View attachment 10317
It is so hard to say in this state and I only say that because it seems like every year I get a different type of plant pop up in my yard and I have no idea where it came from.. I backup to Greenbelt maybe something from in there blew into my yard I have no idea but it seems like every year something new.

John58Ford

Wow. You're right. I found a variety called 'limon' with the same coloration, surprisingly edible. It just happens my neighbors across the street are from "tropical America", where this plant is native, and growing a garden of plants from home. I bet it found it's way to my house on a stray cat or dog. It all makes sense now.

Super cool website