Java fern question

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So Ive had this Java fern (Windelov) for quite a while. It was a simple Petco/Petsmart buy and it has done very well in the sense that I have propagated it multiple times from the little babies growing off the tips and have given many of these away and have three nice looking little clumps planted on small lava rocks in my tank currently. Heres the question, why has the main purchased plant stopped making more babies? Also why have none of the started plants ever had anything babies for me to propagate?

Just seems weird that they just stopped. The little clumps I have are very full, vibrant and healthy looking…

John58Ford

Low tech plant wall of text incoming.

One of my favorite neutral-soft water lower canopy/divider plants; Windelov (lace) Java Fern is a self cloning (apomixis) rhizome plant. The babies that grow on the leaves originate as small nodes. The things I have observed impacting the health of windelov are: low or high water flow, low CO2 concentrations, low mineral balance, and low nitrogen levels.

The CO2 levels (dropping) in a low tech tank can be affected by significant change in stocking, other plants added to the system up stream, or changing spray bars/filters/air stones. The flow to the plant from airated water can be interrupted by other decor as well.

Total Nitrogen can be over reduced by cutting stockings and not reducing your water change/cleaning/husbandry habits. Also by changing fertilizer brands/types if that's your thing.

Mineral balances can change drastically for those of us on well water seasonally, also can be caused by city/municipalities starting up new water treatment systems, or adjusting seasonally to account for different conditions in the pipes.

As a lower canopy plant, windelov doesn't require a ton of light, but if you were to cut it down in the hours per day cycle you could see some dormancy for a "season".

There are 2 things that tend to force java Fern into producing nodes, one is high quality (in it's opinion) conditions, the other is starvation or sudden but permanent change in parameters. When changing parameters a self cloning plant will often send out as many nodes as it thinks it can feed using itself as food. This survival method allows a plant to produce babies and send them down stream for a better chance of species survival. Even if the mother plant does adjust and end up surviving the nodes have been triggered and will grow to maturity. If you take those mature nodes and replant them in similair water/flow/lighting they will likely just grow normally, if any of the parameters are significant they will repeat the self preservation cycle.

It's possible that after a few generations in your tanks you have moderate/good conditions and they are not self preserving as they have acclimated, but that also they are short abundant CO2 (on a low tech standard) or total nitrogen so they are now growing more slowly/steadily.

Good news is that you can still propagate by cutting the rhizome, and much like Anubias you can predict the direction of growth to continue to run the original direction on both the cutting and the original. That can help in strategically making walls if your substrate is appropriate for the roots to take naturally, the plant has a real knack for keeping it's rhizome just above the surface preventing rot while still rooting nice and deep into the soil.

Visual aids (maybe some reading this haven't discovered the joy of lace Java Fern)
Windelov
20220810_110848.jpg
20220810_111130.jpg
Rhyzomes that had previously been cut continuing to grow from right to left, keeping the rhizome at a healthy height, while still sending nice roots down.
20220810_115030.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @John58Ford for the info. Likely the plants are happy being what they are and not reproducing at the moment. It is actually nice not having babies popping off and getting stuck to the filter, lol. Was just a bit curious as to why they stopped.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well no change, java fern looks great but no baby offshoots anymore. In someways a nice thing, keeps the tank cleaner not having the new baby float aways all over.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been thinking I still need to add some plants with height to the tank. I like the fact the plecos seem repelled by the java fern and do not eat it. So I guess I might want to try a different variety than the Windelov that I currently am growing. Maybe one of the broad leaf types or the long skinny leaf. A type that gets at least 8" tall... Any suggestions?

Crashaxa

Been thinking I still need to add some plants with height to the tank. I like the fact the plecos seem repelled by the java fern and do not eat it. So I guess I might want to try a different variety than the Windelov that I currently am growing. Maybe one of the broad leaf types or the long skinny leaf. A type that gets at least 8" tall... Any suggestions?
I was looking around and saw some corkscrew sword that might look good in your tank. Supposed to get pretty tall and has a cool April look to the leaves. I haven't messed with it yet but I definitely plan to soon.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking around and saw some corkscrew sword that might look good in your tank. Supposed to get pretty tall and has a cool April look to the leaves. I haven't messed with it yet but I definitely plan to soon.
Yeah, that is something that I would like for sure. Something with the height but also the twist would add that cool element that would add some interest.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just an updated comment on this one. The (Windelov) Java ferns in question still have no new offshoots. The plants look healthy but just do not reproduce any more. I have three clumps on lava rocks and each clump has a minimum of 5 plants on them. The original plants were the one reproducing and I do not believe any of the ones that were offshoots ever made more plants.

I got a regular Java fern that I put in the back of the tank for height and while it has lost a couple leave I have a ton of new plants starting up from them. Im getting close to starting to remove some babies and start another grouping of them.