I snagged some red texas fry....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
JenReuter sp? is selling some really healthy red texas fry. The parents are a red devil and a texas. I went down and picked them up from her yesterday! All of her tanks were crystal clear, beautifully decorated; and all of her fish were very healthy and happy! The fry I picked up are awesome looking little fish that I hope will fade into something that resembles madness' red texas. In case anyone else was interested, she is selling them for $3 dollars a piece. At that price, I figured what do i have to lose, even if they don't color up as much as I expect them to. She also had some really cool looking African's for-sale. Here are a couple of pictures that she took of her fish, so you can see what I got, and understand the excitement I have at the possibility of having some show-stoppers!
mom
3F43mc3H15Nf5W65R6d11f68013214d641446_zps6d0b0a40.jpg

dad
3Gf3J93H55G65Kf5M4d11f56fe1c229311d50_zpsc0784a25.jpg

my new fish
3Kc3Nd3H65Ge5M25J5ccuc4dc65a1423f1536_zpsc8f6c6e5.jpg

I'll post updates as they grow-out for those of you who care. For those of you who don't, sorry :)

Will have to watch these guys come up. From looking at mom and dad I can't visualize what they will look like! Creamsicle with teal/blue spots?!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I can't visualize them either, but I am excited to see! your description of a creamsicle with teal spots makes me think of mold.... ha ha. I know they will be a heck of a lot nicer than that ;-) About half of the them are currently shaped like the mom, and then others are looking more stream lined like a juvenile red devil . I'll post some update picks in a few weeks

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not really sure what you will get from the mix. :scratch:

Still a bit of a mystery on how a true Red Texas is made. But the red devil used here does not show a whole lot of color in the right direction. I think that is why they usually use a flowerhorn or parrot mother that carries a solid red color and is not infertile and then use a male Texas. Then the best of the fry are raised out and one male is cross bred back to the mother.... Anyway pure speculation since I dont really know the formula just based on things Ive read. Will need to post more pics as these guys grow out and see what they turn into.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
DMD123 said:
Not really sure what you will get from the mix. :scratch:

Still a bit of a mystery on how a true Red Texas is made. But the red devil used here does not show a whole lot of color in the right direction.
I wouldn't mind if they also developed an all white body with blue speckles.... maybe call them "snowy texas" or "frosted texas" or "ivory texas", then again my first choice would be a least one of them developing into a "red texas" :woot:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not saying that the fish does not carry the genes to produce the reds but in many cases a solid reddish fish is used to help ensure the color to carry.

"snowy texas" or "frosted texas" or "ivory texas" :laughhard:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to trade mark those names, and then sell the fish for insane amounts of money!!! Looking forward to my early retirement. 8)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Will we have to pay you royalties when we use those names? $$$$$$$$$$$

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I will not charge you any royalties! :beer:

On a side note, I am really frustrated with some current postings for equipment being sold on C.L. Is there a section on here devoted to strictly rant? I promise to leave names out of it....

Madness

Staff member
lloyd378 said:
On a side note, I am really frustrated with some current postings for equipment being sold on C.L. Is there a section on here devoted to strictly rant? I promise to leave names out of it....
No not really, but feel free to post a generic thread in the General Discussion section.

So do red texas come about through devils/midas and regular carpintis? That just seems strange to me that you mix those two very different fish to get a very different fish lol Don't know much about red texas thats why I ask.

lloyd378 said:
I will not charge you any royalties! :beer:

Your trying to buy I assume? lol I always have stuff on CL and its amazing the type of people you get to deal with!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
There are times with C-List that I think they dont really want to sell their stuff. They probably just need to tell their wives that 'they tried' but no one would buy it. :joker:

A

Anonymous

DMD123 said:
There are times with C-List that I think they dont really want to sell their stuff. They probably just need to tell their wives that 'they tried' but no one would buy it. :joker:

Now that's funny! haha!

I deal with CL all the time buy, sale,trade cars and motorcycles, aquarium equipment, ECT... You have to take in stride and blow off the BS and never ever use your primary email. Make up a new email account or you will get spammed to death. Oh,yeah its a good idea to have a couple corresponding emails before phone number transaction as well. Its no fun to get spam text messages!!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the perspective guys.... i need to remember this when it comes to our wet pets and stuff for them advertised on CL.
i also used to deal with cl all the time with my classic landcruiser buying trucks / and parts (though i have never ran into a landcruiser person that I didn't like).

Madness

Staff member
I have one of the largest juveniles available. Dont know if Lloyd has some still, but I will sell mine, it is about 4" now.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Well from what I was told I have the rest of Jen's juvenile's of these and they aren't coloring up. I'm wondering what someone else's look like to see if that's what I really have. Can I PM you madness??

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
mine range from 2-3 inches. they are extremely aggressive when they are not in large groups. they are shaped like a red devil with the blue spangling of a texas cichlid. Mine have not peeled yet, as they are still small and also mixed with tons of other grow outs. once they make it to my new 150, i am hoping that they grow faster and begin the peeling process. i will try to go get a picture now. if i get a decent one, ill post a picture.