i have wigglers!

A

Anonymous

You're not understanding.
The fry. For the first few days, up to 2 weeks.
FEED. From a secretion. That the PARENTS produce.
There will be no fry to reintroduce, if you take the parents away. Because they'll all starve. And die.

cichlid-gal

Congrats and good luck Nick. Sounds like you are trying to make the best decisions for the group (parents and babies) given your tanks and setups. Now that you know they are going to spawn giving them their own tank and setup may be the solution. And often 1st time fish parents need time to learn how to be "good" parents...they will get it right in time.

nick_76

pvtpain-
im understanding more than you realize, but for the first few days, the wigglers are immobile. they are not capable of swimming to their parents and feeding off the secretions yet.
this is the stage. where they stay put. and wiggle.

when they are freely swimming, and have developed surther, then the can feed off the parents

A

Anonymous

Actually, at this stage, the parents move them around to avoid predation. And feed them through this secretion the whole time.
Presuming you're right, and I'm wrong; If they're NOT eating that secretion while they're wigglers, then pray tell, what are they eating?

nick_76

for the first few days, the yolk sac...once that is consumed theyre ready to venture out to their parents to feed off slime...and the parents have moved a number of wigglers around...from the leaves and bottom of the QT right into their digestive tract.
this is their first time getting this far, the previous time the female immediately ate the eggs. i dont have high hopes for the remaining 6 fry, but if they make it they make it....these two will spawn again