I have a picky eater

dwarfpike

Rams are very nitrate sensitive, I didn't think to come up with that though given how well planted your tank is. Doh. But being more spritely after back to back water changes ...

LuminousAphid

I think that was most likely the issue, because since I have been doing more regular (and smaller) water changes, I can see quite a difference in how well the male seems to feel. He is eating really well now, and I have even seen him picking up some of the Hikari "micro pellets" now that I also tried submerging a pinch so that it all sinks in one area instead of spreading all over the whole tank (and into the filter)

He is kind of a bum though, some mornings he chases the female around the tank constantly like he wants her out of his territory. Then some days, like today, they will happily pick around the tank eating together, and it seems like they get along fine. I really like these fish though, for that reason, they have so much character compared to the other fish I have kept.

edit: also I should have thought of the nitrate thing sooner too, but I guess since I have gotten away with 40+ppm in the past with fish like guppies and other "beginner" fish, I just didn't think to worry about it. It was definitely good for the plants, but they are still all doing fine with lower nitrates, just not growing as quickly!

LuminousAphid

Update: Eating fine now, and they spawned yesterday for christmas! Only problem is, something at the eggs overnight... The only time this has worked so far, I left the dimmer light on for them every night, so I might try using a little spotlight next time to illuminate their next nest area :D I think then they can have a chance to fend off the plecos and snails and shrimp which all want a piece of their eggs. Of course next time I might have them in a new tank, or at least have less creatures in this current tank. It's kind of packed right now.

Madness

Staff member
Even with large Cichlids, if I have bottom feeders in the same tank my eggs always get eaten.  Unless they are in a pot where mom and/or dad gets in and the only way to the eggs is through the front.

I have had great success with these styles in my tanks with bottom feeders
images12.jpg
" />

images13.jpg
" />

dwarfpike

Do your normally open spawners still use them? Or do they just pick the top to lay on?

A nightlight is a time honored tradition Luminous in community tanks.  :spoton: