Hi from K.P.

John58Ford

Good evening all!
I was recently introduced to this forum by one of your members while I was picking up some fish. Was an awesome visit with a fellow local fish nerd.

I am very active on another forum but am excited to see this many people in my home state nerding out too. My boys and I run 6 planted nano display tanks on a rack, some of them sumped together for stability and that's our fish room staple. There are a few other tanks scattered throughout the house, occasionally breeding tubs get set up, and a 45 corner tank that we are setting up a new 3D vivarium in. We work in very soft water usually, 2-3 degrees is pretty common in these tanks, we make our own buffers, don't use commercial fertilizers or tabs and specifically do not add any nitrogen. Recently we had the opportunity to set up a l. Tang tank, starting small in the 10 gallon qt and moving them out into a long tank if we're successful.

I could write for days about what we do, but I'm really here to read about you guys and learn something new every day.

Here's a recent photo of the tank rack, one of these days I suppose I should put the hood doors on it:
20210525_205220_HDR~2.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Welcome to the local club!!!

we are glad you are here.
I’m located in the frederickson area ( puyallup/ Spanaway hybrid area) and mainly keep cichlids, though in the last year I’ve branched out to a planted rank, fahaka puffer tank too. All said and done, I have 9 tanks up and running from 220g down to my smallest, a unique acrylic 50g thats 48x14x18 tall .

thanks for sharing, and I look forward to you becoming an active member here

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Welcome! Very cool setup you have! You'll find that there are all kinds of aquarists on this site, which makes it a lot of fun.

Love your avatar: I was big into Apisto's years ago. Now I'm totally Tanganyikan. And also in Kitsap! :thumbsup

Madness

Staff member
Welcome aboard. Beautiful tanks. Like lloyd i have the big tanks and big cichlids. Also have a loach tank and pleco tank.

Again welcome. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome @John58Ford to the fishy family. Nice set up you have here!

Im a big fish guy too with cichlids and bichirs but I appreciate the big attitude even little cichlids like your Shellie have. Look forward to more posts from you!

John58Ford

I do, f100 style side with a cross member welded in and a bored and built 390(430cui was where the math put it). Back 15-20 years ago it was venerable on the Yakima 1/8 mile and back road straights around the Tri-Cities(before "farm truck" was on tv, we had an actual sleeper). It sat in a dusty uncovered side yard unattended for 15 years, got vandalized/picked from once or twice and I finally brought it to my real home again just a few years ago. Its not very pretty at this point in it's life and I even had it listed for sale when I was thinking about transferring but I recently put it back in the trailer and may set it up as a cruiser. Here's a shameful pic:
20210403_144522_HDR~2.jpg

Right now I have grandpa as our weekend driver; '69 F250 camper special that has a ton of family history. We did a cab off rebuild back 12 years ago and it's actually worth a picture, throw me a wave if you see it around, and if the things parked at a boat launch, we're the ones with the matching Jon and antique motor :)
20210310_071903_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20210310_071907.jpg
    20210310_071907.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 8

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Oh my gosh 69 F250 brings back such fond memories. My first vehicle was a 72 sport custom 3/4 ton. I loved that truck and miss it. It was my grandpa's and two tone blue.

Welcome to the fishbox from a fellow fish keeper and automotive enthusiasts!

I do, f100 style side with a cross member welded in and a bored and built 390(430cui was where the math put it). Back 15-20 years ago it was venerable on the Yakima 1/8 mile and back road straights around the Tri-Cities(before "farm truck" was on tv, we had an actual sleeper). It sat in a dusty uncovered side yard unattended for 15 years, got vandalized/picked from once or twice and I finally brought it to my real home again just a few years ago. Its not very pretty at this point in it's life and I even had it listed for sale when I was thinking about transferring but I recently put it back in the trailer and may set it up as a cruiser. Here's a shameful pic:
View attachment 8980

Right now I have grandpa as our weekend driver; '69 F250 camper special that has a ton of family history. We did a cab off rebuild back 12 years ago and it's actually worth a picture, throw me a wave if you see it around, and if the things parked at a boat launch, we're the ones with the matching Jon and antique motor :)
View attachment 8981

Orthopod

Good evening all!
I was recently introduced to this forum by one of your members while I was picking up some fish. Was an awesome visit with a fellow local fish nerd.

I am very active on another forum but am excited to see this many people in my home state nerding out too. My boys and I run 6 planted nano display tanks on a rack, some of them sumped together for stability and that's our fish room staple. There are a few other tanks scattered throughout the house, occasionally breeding tubs get set up, and a 45 corner tank that we are setting up a new 3D vivarium in. We work in very soft water usually, 2-3 degrees is pretty common in these tanks, we make our own buffers, don't use commercial fertilizers or tabs and specifically do not add any nitrogen. Recently we had the opportunity to set up a l. Tang tank, starting small in the 10 gallon qt and moving them out into a long tank if we're successful.

I could write for days about what we do, but I'm really here to read about you guys and learn something new every day.

Here's a recent photo of the tank rack, one of these days I suppose I should put the hood doors on it:
View attachment 8959
Very nice - I’m also in Kitsap - there are a couple of us out here