Hair Algae Help

Mike16T

You probably overdosed it. I did warned you guys about it in our thread..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Loren

Too much light can also lead to algae growth. I know I do have too much light in my shrimp tank. I don't have hair algae, but I have a lot of staghorn and some BGA (They down really spread or grow in my tank, kinda suppressed it, don't know how). My light period in my current shrimp tank is 7 hours. It used to be 9 hours but BGA and hair algae grew so I reduced it to 7 hours and maintained once a week of ferts. I have a lot of plants in there that why..
I fight BBA and hair algae constantly. Just call me crazy but I am now trying the following in most of my tanks:

12 - 2 PM lights on
2 - 4 PM lights off
4 - 6 PM lights on
6 - 8 PM lights off
8 - 10 PM lights on

Loren

You probably overdosed it. I did warned you guys about it in our thread..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Yes, I had been spot treating small amounts but then became disgusted one day and went wild. It was totally my fault.

Mike16T

I fight BBA and hair algae constantly. Just call me crazy but I am now trying the following in most of my tanks:

12 - 2 PM lights on
2 - 4 PM lights off
4 - 6 PM lights on
6 - 8 PM lights off
8 - 10 PM lights on

Jeez.. Every 2 hours? How's your plants doing with those schedule?

Loren

Jeez.. Every 2 hours? How's your plants doing with those schedule?
I just started it a couple of days ago. I was only thinking about the algae but you might be right that it will fix one problem and cause another.

Mike16T

I just started it a couple of days ago. I was only thinking about the algae but you might be right that it will fix one problem and cause another.

You can do 4 hours of full dark.

So in example;

8 AM - 12 PM = ON
12 PM - 4 PM = OFF
4 PM - 8 PM = ON

Make sure you adjusted the time of the CO2 regulator also.

Loren

You can do 4 hours of full dark.

So in example;

8 AM - 12 PM = ON
12 PM - 4 PM = OFF
4 PM - 8 PM = ON

Make sure you adjusted the time of the CO2 regulator also.
Thanks, I was running 3 on, 1 off, 3 on and still getting algae. Vic was thinking that the off time wasn't long enough.

Mike16T

Thanks, I was running 3 on, 1 off, 3 on and still getting algae. Vic was thinking that the off time wasn't long enough.

I agree.. The logic to the break on light period is Algae needs longer light period for photosynthesis to thrive. So with 4 hours increments (ON and OFF), it takes a huge effect on the algae's photosynthesis and not too much with plants. ;);)

@L190 Confirm this or repel or add some info please.. =)

Loren

I agree.. The logic to the break on light period is Algae needs longer light period for photosynthesis to thrive. So with 4 hours increments (ON and OFF), it takes a huge effect on the algae's photosynthesis and not too much with plants. ;);)
Wonderful, I will give it a try.

Mike16T

Oh yah and also realized that with your current 2 hours method, I can't imagine how your fish get stress with the PH swing.. lol

L190

not the pro on this. for me, I have my lights on on my planted tank from 7am to 11am and 8pm to 12am. I do this because of my work schedule and because i like to observe my tanks when i am home. A longer lights off period is a good thing especially for a non co2 planted tank because it supposedly builds up co2.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

12 - 2 PM lights on
2 - 4 PM lights off
4 - 6 PM lights on
6 - 8 PM lights off
8 - 10 PM lights on

Um...clearly you have timers set up?