Greetings From Bellingham

MegaraSai

Hi!

Just here with my lil 6 gal Topfin corner tank w/three different gravels, driftwood, and plants, stocked with a copper dragon betta (Sai), one kubotai rasbora (Ryan), and one kuhli loach (Crawley) which has been running almost a year. Used to have snails, but the nerites died from too much Easy Carbon (I've switched to CO2 Booster which is easier to measure accurately), and Sai and Crawley patiently hunted down every single ramshorn over several months and turned them into tasty basketballs. Tried shrimp, too, but that's another story. I did add 3 MTS a few days ago, but one already died and the other two are unknown, tho I do see tiny trails in some of the algae in one spot, so I might get a few more.

To be upfront, I didn't know about the genetic problems with dragon betta, but I do now so I can keep him happy and healthy as long as possible. The rasbora and kuhli were experiments because Sai was looking a bit lonely in the tank with just the snails plus he'd lived very peacefully with baby barbs at the store, and Ryan was left behind alone at the store so I was all 'why not?' and bought him and Crawley back in June of '23. They're all grown up now with only 3 very slight injuries in the ensuing months, so the experiment has been a success. And its been interesting watching them interact. Yes Sai does chase Ryan all the time, but considering Ryan doesn't do his best to get away and even snags Sai's pellets, I don't think Ryan minds that much. Sai doesn't even bite him when he gets a chance.

Anyway, I found this place while researching plants that might suck up those annoying phosphates in the local water and decided to join.