Glass cleaners-What are you using? Mag-Float, etc...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
With multiple tanks going, Im getting kind of lazy and want to put floating type glass cleaners in all the tanks.

I currently use Mag-Float products. I have a Large Model 400 I use on my 5/8" glass on the 300g and then a Model 350 for my 65B which has 1/2" glass.

I have found some other manufacturers out there that offer similar. Just asking opinions as to what everyone else uses.

I am interested in one by Hygger, retails for about $37 for the medium
61LxG+O+ycL._SL1100_.jpg
Notice too a more economy line from Odyssea - Very cheap prices on these
61GeyhKV8CL._SL1255_.jpg

What are you guys using?

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Part of the reason for starting this was the high cost of these things... My Mag-Float 400 retails from $80-$100. I needed it for my thick glass on the 300 gallon. I found mine much cheaper on Amazon due to open package situation so I got it for like $40 at the time. It was new but package was shot.

Just seeing what everyone else is using, even if it is a scrubby on a stick... which I also use

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I use the MagFloats regularly, so rarely need to use much else, and have never tried other brands of this type of scraper. All of my tanks are up against a wall, so for the rear glass I use a 4" razor blade scraper every few months (or a dedicated plastic scraper for the acrylics).

I'm also a big believer in bio-control of algae. Most of my tanks contain Siamese Algae Eaters and/or Nerite snails, and I also try to keep the lights as low as my Anubias will allow. For me that means 20-30% of maximum intensity of the 6500K LEDs for ~10 hours per day, plus full intensity of the actinic LEDs for 14 hours per day using Beamswork DA fixtures.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I use nerite snails and bushy nose plecos.

Colin- Where do you get your Nerites? I'm always looking for more of them, and usually get them at the PetSmart in Silverdale, but they tend to be really small, about pea-sized, and I have to grow them out in fry tanks before putting them in any of my other tanks. :rolleyes:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Colin- Where do you get your Nerites? I'm always looking for more of them, and usually get them at the PetSmart in Silverdale, but they tend to be really small, about pea-sized, and I have to grow them out in fry tanks before putting them in any of my other tanks. :rolleyes:

I have gotten some from Aquarium Paradise, petco or petsmart. Sierra pets in Renton or Midway pets carry them as well. Aquarium paradise had some larger ones last week. I can swing by on my way home to see if they have any. Today is their delivery day.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I have gotten some from Aquarium Paradise, petco or petsmart. Sierra pets in Renton or Midway pets carry them as well. Aquarium paradise had some larger ones last week. I can swing by on my way home to see if they have any. Today is their delivery day.

Cool. If they have any approaching dime-size, I would certainly be interested. Let me know! You also mentioned something about shrimp in Tanganyika water?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Cool. If they have any approaching dime-size, I would certainly be interested. Let me know! You also mentioned something about shrimp in Tanganyika water?

Amano shrimp can handle ph6-7. I would imagine that they could handle 8. If they are in with smaller cichlids they should be safe ish. They will eat hair algi that other critters won’t. I think I would try one or two and see how they do.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I decided to order another Mag-Float, a medium 125 for the 75 gallon. Its rated up to 3/8” glass so it should work fine on the 75. It was actually a less expensive option and the name brand.
238C0B57-D790-4567-AC01-3D21DC991798.jpeg
I am a huge fan of the Tom Aquarium tools also. I have a few of the longer 34” ones and a 22” one.

950422FA-F2F0-40CD-9E16-1D784FE28ECB.jpeg

Betty

Staff member
Mag-float users -- you don't accidentally pick up a grain of sand now and then?

I use Mr. Clean magic eraser or similar type sponge or glass scrub pad made for cleaning ceramic stove tops. Down close to the sand, I use my fingers.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Mag-float users -- you don't accidentally pick up a grain of sand now and then?

I use Mr. Clean magic eraser or similar type sponge or glass scrub pad made for cleaning ceramic stove tops. Down close to the sand, I use my fingers.
I stay way away from the substrate in my sand tanks. I end up using the gravel vac and removing all the sand from the area and clean by hand with a scrubber on a stick. On my gravel tanks no real issue with the mag-float

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Bringing this one back because I am in need of a magnet cleaner for my 46 gallon Bowfront. I have a small magfloat but does not do well on the front curve

Any ideas?

I found a Fluval product... watched video of it, seems like it could work
9B31007F-B4B7-4359-88C8-CA245401F801.jpeg