Did some Relocating

Madness

Staff member
So I decided that I wanted my Zonatus pair to slow down on their breeding. Plus I needed them out of the way so that I could catch all of the babies. So I stuck the pair in my 210 with my RTM's, Freddies, and male Festae. All are of equal size to my male Zo.

OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSSSSS :affraid: That was a mistake. My Zo pair took less than 24 hours to completely dominate the whole tank. They whooped the crap out of my male Festae, and male RTM.

So, today I did a big switch around. I put the Zo's in the divided 135 with my male Xilo, moving my WC male devil into the 120 squared tank, and also put my WC barred blue female Devil in with him. Moved the Umbee pair up to the 135 divided with my Hoga pair. (currently have eggs) I moved the Umbees to a different tank for 2 reasons. 1st is because I wanted them at eye level so that I can watch them easier. Plus I wanted to induce spawning a bit with the Hoga's in the same tank spawning. It has worked many times trying to get a pair to spawn. :)

So really didnt realize how aggressive my Zo's are. My male has some good size to him, but is just as big as my Festae and RTM, but he just dominated them. I was quite surprised.

Hopefully the Umbees spawn soon. While I was moving all I took the time to measure. Much larger than I thought.

Male F2 Umbee 11.5"
F F1 Umbee 7"
M Festae 11"
F F1 RTM 11"
F F1 RTM 10"
M F1 RTM 10"
M Freddie 8"
M F1 Zonatus 11"
F F1 Zonatus 9"
M WC Devil 12"
F WC barred blue Devil 6"
M WC Xilo 10"
M WC Hoga 12"
F WC Hoga 6"

This took my 5hrs. Damn I love this hobby. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Funny how time flies when you are working on your tanks. Bet it didnt feel like 5 hrs at all.

Nice to see all the fish getting so big! Keep up the good work! :spoton:

Madness

Staff member
Still have so much to do. I need to cut in vents in my attic space above my garage. There is no air movement and the heat from the fish room below and the freezing temps outside, is cause condensation to build up on the underside of my roof. A LOT of moister. So I have to cut in vents and dry it out. Then i need to insulate all the walls and finish the floor of the attic space. Hopefully this will keep the warm air in the room and the cold air to circulate in the attic better.

More fun with the fish hobby. :D

fishman09

sounds like a lot of fun. i too have some moving to do or i have to get rid of some fish( which is not an option :D ) im either gonna move the dovii into the 120 divided with the umbee or move the jag pair to the umbee tank divided giving the dovii the 75 cause he was causing trouble in my 240. still have time but stuff needs to get done :D nice to see your umbees getting big

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just never enough room for all the fish you would like to keep!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I know! I will have to make some decisions in a few months as to who stays and who goes in the big tank. I could just get more tanks....

Madness

Staff member
Come on, you have longer than that. I have 5 x 10"+ fish in my 210 with a few more stragglers. And it took them a year to get there. You have plenty of time and room. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not worried about size, but aggression. The larger red devil is a :evil: evil little thing. That will not get any better....

Madness

Staff member
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, it is evil. :) I see. Has it grown much? How is it looking?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The red devils and hoga are the ones that eat just about anything and everything. The two devils are starting to peel with black in the edges of their fins and on parts of their body. They do have a bit of a shyness still but not freaking out as much when I approach the tank. I really want to keep one of the devils but like I said evil. The hoga has the perfect temperament and has not shown aggression so he looks to be a keeper.

fishman09

my devil has been cooler than the other side of the pillow but the hogas starting to gey a little ballsie with my large freddy but now that the freddys have paired off and spawned i kinda want the devil and hoga to have some pretty females also :hugg:

Madness

Staff member
fishman09 said:
my devil has been cooler than the other side of the pillow but the hogas starting to gey a little ballsie with my large freddy but now that the freddys have paired off and spawned i kinda want the devil and hoga to have some pretty females also
343760.gif
Well if my other Hoga pair (my male) would have a successful spawn, I would have a female for you. :(

I have my barred blue Devil in with my big Male. She is not afraid of him, and is always flirting. Maybe I can get them to spawn soon.
:scratch: A white w/org male & a barred blue female :scratch: could be interesting.

fishman09

i think the devils would make some cool babies and my hogas looking like hes about ready to go into beast mode. my doviis gonna want a girlfriend too cause he seems to have paired up with a la ceiba freddy female which may make some cool babies but hes been asking for one of those f1s you have :D

Madness

Staff member
fishman09 said:
i think the devils would make some cool babies and my hogas looking like hes about ready to go into beast mode. my doviis gonna want a girlfriend too cause he seems to have paired up with a la ceiba freddy female which may make some cool babies but hes been asking for one of those f1s you have :D
Well my Dovi have spawned twice since he was ill. Both times the eggs disappeared. Not sure if he is able to get into the pot very well to fertilize, and she is eating them. :( Need to get this 240 I have in here and transfer them into it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Those Dovii need a bigger tank! How is the female doing?

Madness

Staff member
She is doing just fine now too. Still waiting on a decision before I take the time to reinforce my floor and all the work included with it. Damn this is taking forever. :x

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Crawling under the house is for young guys. Sounds like work for your boys!

Madness

Staff member
Oh definitely. But still work that would be unnecessary if the outcome is bad.