close call

Gizmo

Dude, power strips, a.k.a. "surge protectors" have a built-in GFCI (the little red rocker switch that lights up when electricity is flowing). Also a great way to plug everything in and turn it all off at once for a water change, etc.

FrontosaDude

I probably shouldn't have used the word surge in my previous post...Only power strips labeled GFCI have built in GFCI, the red rocker switch you're referring too is a power strip with surge protection (not all power strips have surge protectors, Belkin makes some decent ones). Surge protectors will protect against excessive voltage in certain situations, GFCI will detect imbalances in current flow if you have hot wires

pbmax

Indeed; GFCI surge protector power strips cost a lot more and provide more protection than your garden variety power strips.

My power strip didn't trip when I dripped water into one of my light timers, but the gfci plug did. I didn't notice until the temp alarm went off on one of the tanks at 3am.... much fun :)

Gizmo

Are the digital timer strips you pay $35 for at PetsMart GFCI, or will I need to go get a good one?

pbmax

Gizmo said:
Are the digital timer strips you pay $35 for at PetsMart GFCI, or will I need to go get a good one?
I don't believe any of those have a GFCI built in, no.

FrontosaDude

I use the zilla reptile power center strip, its made by same company that makes the corallife one just a little cheaper price (I guess they assume they can charge more because it's fish related lol) but it is the same strip nonetheless....anyways, they are not GFCI, it says right in the manual:

Digital Power Center Installation

1. Once time cycle(s) are set, mount a light fixture onto the aquarium.
2. Plug Fixture cord into the Digital Power Center.
3. Plug Digital Power Center into a grounded three-prong receptacle controlled by a GFCI.
4. Turn on the Digital Power Center ON/OFF switch (red light is visible when power is on)

I thought that they would have included GFCI but discovered they don't when reading the manual, luckily my house has GFCI wall sockets so I'm good...Gizmo: you can replace your wall plug or do what pbmax suggested and buy the adapter piece from amazon.

Gizmo

I've got GFCI's in my fuse box as well. Problem is, GFCI's for home use in a breaker panel have a much higher trip point than it takes to zap a fish tank. The outlet GFCI's are much better, IMO.

On that note, are AFCI's any better for aquariums than GFCI's, since even when an electrical component falls in the drink, it won't be grounded unless YOU become the ground?

FYI, AFCI = Arc Fault Circuit Interruptor. They measure current characteristics phase-to-phase, instead of current magnitude. They're useful for detecting small leakage currents caused by shorting electrical appliances which are of a nature that do not result in a fault, but over time can light things on fire. i.e. if somebody drives a nail through a wall and cuts the insulation on an electrical cable behind the sheetrock. Won't arc to ground, but the leakage currents will seep out of the wire through the nail into the stud or sheetrock, and will eventually light them off.

pbmax

All of my GFCIs are either receptacles or plug replacements; I only have ckt breakers in my panel (built in 1986).

The purpose of GFCIs for aquarium use is primarily to save folks from being electrocuted. In that capacity I believe it's more appropriate than an AFCI. I guess it's possible an AFCI could have detected this lamp failure... It's also possible a GFCI would have failed to catch it.

Someone should replicate the failure scenario on both GFCI and AFCI ckts and report back. :)

pbmax said:
Absolutely - GFCIs are a must for all aquarium equipment.

I replaced my power strip plugs with these (where I didn't have a GFCI-protected circuit):

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-16693-120-Volt-Automatic-Compliant/dp/B0037NXKY0/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

You may be able to find them elsewhere for a better price, but the nice thing about these is that they reset to on after a power outage - many others do not.
Thanks for the link, that is a cool GFCI. The auto reset alone is worth it.

Good to hear nothing but some plastic was burnt! My fear is that one day I stick my hand in the tank to clean and get jump started!