Best FW aquarium large invertebrate?

Madness

Staff member
Re: Best FW aquarium large invertebrate?

I dont believe so, even the Asian markets stopped selling them about a year or so ago

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Odd the sierra newt is on the list yet those are all over in my backyard (the wooded trails behind our house)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

As well, hermit crabs are on there and I saw those at petsmart mother's day weekend. As well as mosquito fish are in the list and those are frequently sold in stores as "guppies". So if they are mislabeled at retail and you keep receipt does that mean you can play dumb? Doesn't make much sense on some of this stuff.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

I do see that one website has them labeled as "Hammers cobalt blue lobster" and the scientific name next to it. When you google the scientific name it lists it as a fw us native CRAYFISH species. Companies trying to trap people into purchases they shouldn't be making so they can get a profit??

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

So it is somewhat confusing...
http://wdfw.wa.gov/ais/crustaceans.html

The Neon Red 'lobster' is an Procambarus clarkii, the Pearl 'lobster' is also called Procambarus clarkii which are prohibited and must both be a form of the 'Red swamp crawfish'.

The Electric Blue 'lobster' is Procambarus paeninsulanis and is not on the list...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I do see that one website has them labeled as "Hammers cobalt blue lobster" and the scientific name next to it. When you google the scientific name it lists it as a fw us native CRAYFISH species. Companies trying to trap people into purchases they shouldn't be making so they can get a profit??
"Hammers cobalt blue lobster", I found were a Procambarus clarkii which is on the prohibited list.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Hammers cobalt blue lobster is what they are generically calling a Procambaus clarkii.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

DMD123 said:
So it is somewhat confusing...
http://wdfw.wa.gov/ais/crustaceans.html

The Neon Red 'lobster' is an Procambarus clarkii, the Pearl 'lobster' is also called Procambarus clarkii which are prohibited and must both be a form of the 'Red swamp crawfish'.

The Electric Blue 'lobster' is Procambarus paeninsulanis and is not on the list...
I believe we have found, what they call, a loop-hole dear Watson!  :laughhard: 

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Madness

Staff member

I believe these places are aware of the laws in some states and will need allow you to purchase

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

So I sent off this email to Petsolutions who sell these aquatic freshwater 'lobster'.

"I have been interested in Freshwater 'Lobsters' such as the Electric Blue, Neon Red or Pearl but notice that my state (Washington) has a ban on live crayfish. Are these items available for me to order in my state or do the laws apply to these aquarium 'lobster' also?

Thank you for your assistance."

Here is the answer I received:
"I AM AFRAID THAT THE BAN WOULD STILL HOLD. SORRY."

Funny that the answer I received was in ALL CAPS!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

DMD123 said:
So I sent off this email to Petsolutions who sell these aquatic freshwater 'lobster'.

"I have been interested in Freshwater 'Lobsters' such as the Electric Blue, Neon Red or Pearl but notice that my state (Washington) has a ban on live crayfish. Are these items available for me to order in my state or do the laws apply to these aquarium 'lobster' also?

Thank you for your assistance."

Here is the answer I received:
"I AM AFRAID THAT THE BAN WOULD STILL HOLD. SORRY."

Funny that the answer I received was in ALL CAPS!
Gotta love it... I bet if you purchased it they would still ship it. Atleast on LiveAquaria it defines some states it will not ship to at the bottom.

Madness

Staff member

Like I mentioned above, once you insert your shipping info it will red flag. Its like selling alcohol to a minor, they are liable and can be fined and/or lose their license

A

Anonymous

dwarfpike said:
The largest, safe shrimp I know of is a Bamboo shrimp (Atyopsis sp.).
Just go for these guys. They are awesome. But need a water current moving for them to collect food from their filter fan arms.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

Also be aware that there are two electric blue crays. One that stays at about 6 inches and one that grows to about 14 inches.

For a few years they were able to get away with crossing the crayfish with a lobster. Then selling them as lobsters which weren't technically illegal. Now they are all illegal.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

Also anything that can be caught in Washington is illegal to take away from it's habitat.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

SiRWesDragon said:
dwarfpike said:
The largest, safe shrimp I know of is a Bamboo shrimp (Atyopsis sp.).
Just go for these guys. They are awesome.  But need a water current moving for them to collect food from their filter fan arms.
But they need brackish to breed?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Those aren't really an option for a 75 gallon. Not much current at the bottom.