Battery air pumps

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Was just posting some info and thoughts on Battery Air Pumps I have used.

This is a comparison between the Azoo brand and Uniclife brand

IMG_20210117_133147010.jpg
Internally they look very similar. Build construction and removable clip are the advantage of the Uniclife (dark one). The light one is the Azoo which seems is the better one mechanically.
IMG_20210117_133201105.jpg

I took the used D batteries out of the Azoo and put them into the Uniclife. It was a quieter unit but I had to press the switch on/off multiple time to get it to work. Then I put it on the tank and came back to it not pumping. Thinking batteries were totally dead, I took them out and put them back in the Azoo and it turned on and worked fine. I had read other experiences of this type of switch having issues of not being responsive but was hoping it was few and far between. Anyway the Uniclife unit is being returned as defective and I am looking at something else. Maybe another Azoo but they are loud.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was contemplating the Top Fin but noticed the build is identical to the unit Im returning.
5174805.jpg
Uniclife unit
C2929621-B306-4154-A0E2-01E4FE5797FD.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I found a winner! The Penn Plax B10 from Amazon for $13.30 is a great emergency air pump. Again I took used batteries out of my other air pump and the Penn Plax started up with no issue and was very quiet. The only issue is that you have to be careful when putting the airline on. The entire pump can come dislodged if you are too forceful. I like the removable clip since this will sit on top of the tank when needed, so clip will be removed.
IMG_20210120_114031043.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wanted to add that each of these air pumps give you a length of air line and an air stone. I dont use either of these. The air line is inconsistent with some giving stuff that is kinked and wont flow air well and others giving nice silicone line. I use python airline instead. As to airstones, most do not like getting wet and then dried and reused again and again that way, they tend to deteriorate and fall apart quickly. So instead of the included stone I use a TopFin from Petsmart that has no issue the multiple wet/dry reuse. Also it is heavy enough that the air line does not float back up.
5098130.jpg

Modest_Man

A little late to the party but I'd also search for "live well aerator". The ones made for fishing/boating tend to be built a bit better for longevity.

We used some hard for several years doing fisheries work, but I can't for the life of me remember the brand. They might be louder than you're wanting though.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A little late to the party but I'd also search for "live well aerator". The ones made for fishing/boating tend to be built a bit better for longevity.

We used some hard for several years doing fisheries work, but I can't for the life of me remember the brand. They might be louder than you're wanting though.

The ones for live bait like Marine metal, Frabill, Engel are all sportman type pumps but they generally are only 1.4 STL, rated for about 8 gallons. The ones Ive been looking at are around 2.6 rated for 29/30 gallons. Still a bit low for my tanks but better than nothing.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got all my air pumps in now. I removed the metal clip, added silicone feet and installed the batteries. My pumps are ready to go.
IMG_20210121_154558800.jpg
So I have 6 pumps for all 6 of my tanks.
IMG_20210121_160117464.jpg
The 4 battery model has two outputs and is for the 300. I like that it is a plug in that comes on automatically when the power goes off. This means if I plug it in during an outage it will then run off the 110 and save the batteries. It also is quiet in comparison to the Azoo pumps (I should just replace these too)
IMG_20210121_160143932.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Replaced one of the Azoo pumps with another Penn Plax unit. That Azoo is now dedicated to my fish transport bucket. Just one more loud Azoo to replace. I also found some airstones that I like better due to price. I was using a stone from Petsmart that were $3.99 each but I found a bulk one from Ken's that are only .95 each! Picture comparison with the new Ken's on the right.
IMG_20210123_115634862.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I remembered I have a flush cut saw, so I cut off the plastic clips off the Azoo pumps and attached the silicone pads.
IMG_20210123_122313820.jpg
Here is my bucket lid pump set up
IMG_20210123_123125635.jpg