Anyone keeping Axolotl?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been interested in Axolotl... Doing my research it seems my 20L when empty of inhabitants would work perfect for an adult. I know I can get away with it unheated in my garage and I will need to make a baffle for the Aquaclear 50 since they dont like a lot of current. Was looking at cutting slate tile and silicone it in place for the substrate.

Still in the research stage of this but if any are keeping Axolotl and have advice or hints, please let me know.

Please feel free to post any pics of your Axolotl and their habitats.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I had classmate who did his Ph. D. thesis on a neurological mutant of axolotl called spastic. No lie. Silly things didn't know up from down. Turns out it was a Purkinge cell defect; these are cerebellar neurons involved in motor function, and when defective, they get the signal (to move, for example), but don't know what to do with it. As you probably know, axolotls are just thyroxine-deficient salamanders, and if you treat them with the hormone, they will metamorphose into salamanders.

Axolotls are easy to breed, and my friend's thesis advisor used to take tons of axolotl fry home to feed his semi-professional discus breeding colony. The rumor was that he made a better living by selling discus than by being an Assistant Professor at Princeton.

Sorry for the biology lesson; couldn't resist. I think axolotls fall squarely into that so-ugly-they're-cute category. Certainly unusual. Good luck!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I had classmate who did his Ph. D. thesis on a neurological mutant of axolotl called spastic. No lie. Silly things didn't know up from down. Turns out it was a Purkinge cell defect; these are cerebellar neurons involved in motor function, and when defective, they get the signal (to move, for example), but don't know what to do with it. As you probably know, axolotls are just thyroxine-deficient salamanders, and if you treat them with the hormone, they will metamorphose into salamanders.

Axolotls are easy to breed, and my friend's thesis advisor used to take tons of axolotl fry home to feed his semi-professional discus breeding colony. The rumor was that he made a better living by selling discus than by being an Assistant Professor at Princeton.

Sorry for the biology lesson; couldn't resist. I think axolotls fall squarely into that so-ugly-they're-cute category. Certainly unusual. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing. I did not know that, amazing creatures. I have considered keeping them but not quite ready.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for sharing. I did not know that, amazing creatures. I have considered keeping them but not quite ready.
Yeah, Im just at the intrigued, research part of things. Ive seen many kept on sand and some say its okay and others say its a no, no. Same with bare bottom tanks. Cutting out and installing slate bottom with silicone seems accepted as best. Just the fact they can be in my garage and dont require a whole lot makes them perfect. Though I feel bad keeping something that can get 9" plus in a 20L but everything says its okay.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Yeah, Im just at the intrigued, research part of things. Ive seen many kept on sand and some say its okay and others say its a no, no. Same with bare bottom tanks. Cutting out and installing slate bottom with silicone seems accepted as best. Just the fact they can be in my garage and dont require a whole lot makes them perfect. Though I feel bad keeping something that can get 9" plus in a 20L but everything says its okay.
I think the trick is to make sure they have enough food- they eat a LOT and are messy!- whilst still maintaining water quality. I'm not sure how many tanks were being maintained by the lab I mentioned in my earlier post, but they had a work-study student who spent a couple of hours each day doing water changes.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I heard they are messy. When I get the tank rack going, all the tanks will be in one spot so water changes should be even easier. I also keep night crawlers on hand to feed the puffers so the axolotl would have that and they can be pellet trained from what Ive read. Will be a bit if I get one, just researching the things first.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been dealing with a puffer (arrowhead) that is a "dud" just zero activity. Expected since it is a 'lurker' type. Thinking I might rehome this guy.

Was wondering if Axolotl are "active", or have Wet Pet potential? I have a 30 gallon, 36" footprint to put it in. Currently filtered by Aquaclear 70 which I know I would have to add a diffuser to or to go with a sponge filter since they dont like current. Heater would be removed too.

Will likely have to do some internet research for answers but notice these are available from local sellers on craigslist quite often.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Axolotl's are sedentary, and have about as much personality as a sponge filter. :(

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
from what I’ve seen, they are boring. With that said, I do know that axolotl keepers are fanatical about them. Scratching my head as to why. Haha

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Why not try a pair of pure convicts ( using convicts as the umbrella for a couple of the “cousin” cichlids).

I had those yellows from rapps about 6 years ago and they were amazing. It would also scratch your itch for some wet pets and to breed some fish!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Why not try a pair of pure convicts ( using convicts as the umbrella for a couple of the “cousin” cichlids).

I had those yellows from rapps about 6 years ago and they were amazing. It would also scratch your itch for some wet pets and to breed some fish!
I was looking for that thing that was a bit “different” than my other pets thus the idea of axolotl or even a turtle. I really need to change up some of my stock at this point and the lazy puffer seems to be the best option. I should try to breed something simple to try a d make the hobby a bit more ‘fun’.

cjag

I was looking for that thing that was a bit “different” than my other pets thus the idea of axolotl or even a turtle. I really need to change up some of my stock at this point and the lazy puffer seems to be the best option. I should try to breed something simple to try a d make the hobby a bit more ‘fun’.

Or something more "out there" you could make that 30g a paludarium project and keep some newts. I've always wanted to try that. I don't know if their personalities would be much different than lotls though.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
They are crazy expensive but so is everything these days!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting... back in the day the Rapps ‘bumblebee’ was not a crassipinnis, it was an orbicularis. Mine was an F2 or later gen bumblebee and it was a favorite of mine. One of those once in a lifetime fish.