Zup from Sumner

swamp-rat

Per Cory's suggestion I've joined the world of WA Fishbox.

Tanks
10 gallon planted: Endler's Livebearer x5, Gold Ring Danio x1, Emerald Rasbora x2, SA Bumblebee Cat x2, Orange Banded Hillstream Cat x1, Pea Puffer x1 (snail squad), Gertrudae Rainbow 'Aru II' female, Amano Shrimp x2
Spec Nano-reef: Catalina Goby x1, Decorator Crab x1, Blue-leg Hermit x1, Asst Zoas, Star Polyps, Chaeto
5 gallon tall Nano-reef: Blue-stripe pipe x1, Spotted Mandarin x1, PomPom Crab x2, Ribbon Nudi x2, Scarlet Hermit x2, Orange Dendro, Pulsing Xenia, Green Mushroom, Nuclear Green Palys, Mussels
16 gallon bow reef: Black Clown x1, Pygmy Angel x1, Orchid Dottyback x1, Sponge Crab x1, Blue-Leg Hermit x3, Emerald Crab x1, Red Emerald Crab x1, Fromia Star x1, Nuclear Green Palys, Porites, Pulsing Xenia, Misc Zoa Frags, Caleurpa, Flame Algae
90 gallon aquascape: No inhabitants yet, just renovated 1/19
~45 gallon pond: Green sunfish x1, Trapdoor Snails x???

Other Critters
Vlad: Husky/Greyhound mix
Potter: Mini Schnauzer
Aubrey: Green Cheek Conure
Bramble: Rex rabbit
Bucky: French Angora rabbit
Leezaard, Geckoo, Auricules: Gargoyle Geckos

Welcome, swamp-rat! PokeSephiroth here, aka, Angelo Garcia, aka Deputy Derp =P

Nice tank collection you have there! Share some pics when you get the chance! :)

MRTom

Welcome to the box! Feel free to post some pics! And boy have I got a lot of questions for ya! Can you tell us more about how you setup those nano-reefs and what the maintenance is like? I'm looking at setting a small reef tank (20 gal?) and would love to hear how it went for you.

Also, that green sunfish, what's the care like? Is it an easy fish to keep?

And love the 10 gal community, some of my favorite kinds of fish in there!

swamp-rat

Oh I don't know, Chiisai, the sunfish can be a jerk if he wants! And MRTom, if you're interested in learning more about this fish (and meet him in person) I'll be giving a native fish talk at the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society next month.

As for the mini reefs, I am a very lazy aquarist and tend to take the "less is more" approach to tank maintenance. Neither of the nanos have a protein skimmer and I do a water change as often as the hair algae builds up to block my view, ~3 weeks. Many have gawked at my ability to keep a pipefish AND a mandarin in 5 gallons as the belief is they need a large, established tank with lots of 'pods to thrive, but this is just not true. The key is weaning to frozen foods, and this is where a smaller tank actually helps concentrate the food for these slow meticulous feeders. They're quite fat.
One thing I also use on my nanos are LED PAR30/38 lights from Ecoxotic. They acheive the penetration necessary for corals and can be used in a regular desk lamp over the tank. Seemingly large up-front investment but completely worth it for the energy savings, lower heat output, and lifespan.

swamp-rat

90 gallon aquascaped 1/17, just got heaters and filters 100% up tonight.
72848_10151862711566254_331290327_n.jpg

FW Spec:
2045_10151144262981254_793631024_n.jpg

248055_10151366121111254_200340570_n.jpg

SW Spec:
581040_10151540567256254_164432749_n.jpg

5 gallon nano:
1374945_10151635196676254_2128643819_n.jpg

430054_10150595600011254_660695592_n.jpg

10 gallon:
1621869_10151862817421254_1400743966_n.jpg

16 gallon mini reef:
1609784_10151862817611254_1745650029_n.jpg

As you can see, some of them are in need of maintenance. And some of these pics aren't very fresh.

A

Anonymous

Swamp rat, interesting saltwater tanks. Is it hard to maintain these small SW tanks!?!

A

Anonymous

MRTom said:
Welcome to the box! Feel free to post some pics! And boy have I got a lot of questions for ya! Can you tell us more about how you setup those nano-reefs and what the maintenance is like? I'm looking at setting a small reef tank (20 gal?) and would love to hear how it went for you.

Also, that green sunfish, what's the care like? Is it an easy fish to keep?

And love the 10 gal community, some of my favorite kinds of fish in there!
fishNAbowl said:
Swamp rat, interesting saltwater tanks. Is it hard to maintain these small SW tanks!?!
Looks like I am not the only one interested in nano SW tanks.... :)

MRTom

swamp-rat said:
And MRTom, if you're interested in learning more about this fish (and meet him in person) I'll be giving a native fish talk at the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society next month.
I'll be there!

swamp-rat said:
As for the mini reefs, I am a very lazy aquarist and tend to take the "less is more" approach to tank maintenance.  Neither of the nanos have a protein skimmer and I do a water change as often as the hair algae builds up to block my view, ~3 weeks.  Many have gawked at my ability to keep a pipefish AND a mandarin in 5 gallons as the belief is they need a large, established tank with lots of 'pods to thrive, but this is just not true.  The key is weaning to frozen foods, and this is where a smaller tank actually helps concentrate the food for these slow meticulous feeders.  They're quite fat.
One thing I also use on my nanos are LED PAR30/38 lights from Ecoxotic.  They acheive the penetration necessary for corals and can be used in a regular desk lamp over the tank.  Seemingly large up-front investment but completely worth it for the energy savings, lower heat output, and lifespan.
Would you mind doing a longer post dedicated to the setup in the SW section? I have tons of questions... such as:
- How much work is it to monitor salt level/chemistry? What parameters do you monitor?
- What filter media do you use?
- Does the teeny powerhead in the spec tank provide enough current to keep corals, or do you use something else?
- How many corals can you fit in? What's the math to figure out what can go in?
- Would it be easier to do a fish only (no live rock) tank in the small scale?
- what the heck got you started down this path?
... I probably have a few hundred more questions...

fishNAbowl said:
Looks like I am not the only one interested in nano SW tanks.... :)
You are not. It is on my list of things to do before I die. I don't want to invest in a very large tank (not a fan of big fish anyway) so a nano SW sounds ideal. Maybe a 20 long or a 29?