Zebra Obliquiden eggs

jenreuter

So I have a female Zebra Obliquiden that is holding and when I was moving her to her own tank she spit some of the eggs out in the net. Will the eggs hatch if they are not in her mouth? I put them in a little breeder box because she didnt seem interested in picking them back up. Probably because she was stressed. Any ideas?

Anthraxx

if they have some fry attached then its likely.. if its completely undeveloped then imo u moved her too soon. i like to wait a cpl weeks before isolating sort of as a buffer against this kinda thing. GL w/ the spawn always nice to see someone breeding a seriously endangered species.

jenreuter

They are undeveloped unfortunately. She still has some in her mouth though. The reason I moved her so soon is because last time she was holding I planned to wait a couple weeks, but about 3 days later she was no longer holding. So I wanted to move her sooner incase that happened agian. Hopefully I will get atleast a few fry out of her. She spit out 10 eggs and I moved them into a net and put a air stone underneath to keep them moving. I read an article that suggested that. I just hope that leaving them overnight in a breeder box didn't kill them. Anyways, thanks for the info. I will update later.

Betty

Staff member
If they haven't changed color or developed any fungus, they might still be okay. Just make sure that no other fish can pick at the net because they can crush and kill the eggs/fry that way.

A tumbler would be good to have on hand in case this happens again. (I usually rig something up with a sponge filter and netting, but you can also buy them.)

jenreuter

It is just the female and the eggs in their own tank. One of the eggs looks darker than the rest. I think it is no good, but going to wait till morning and look at it again to be sure. The others have white on the ends, not sure if that is the developing fry or if the eggs are bad. I guess time will tell.