Your views on keeping Synodontis multipunctatus with mouthbrooders.

Addictedtofish

Featherfins are actually quite aggressive when there bigger, I have 1 Brichardi and 2 leleupi in my front tank with that cat and everyone but the brichardi runs from him.

larry.beck

Addictedtofish said:
Actually featherfins are a nile river fish.
:oops: Uhh... yeah... what he said! LOL

I've seen them in rift lake tanks so often I actually assumed they were native to the lakes. Thanks for the correction Addicted.

Addictedtofish

that link I gave you says up to 7.8 but alot of your fish are captive bred anymore so it really dont matter as long as you acclimate them well. Im wanting to breed the multi's and maybe one day Ill get a different tang type that is a parasite type.

Addictedtofish

My brother has one my size in Wenatchee in 7.2 water and he grew it up from 2", his is like 4 yrs old. has lived his whole life in a 37 gal tank. He has it with goldfish and a dojo loach.

hbluehunter

I actually just traded a buddy for a 6 pack of F0's to add to all my Geo's.. Not sure if they'll breed with non African mouth brooders or not though.. I might have to grab a breeding trio of Haps to try and breed them if it doesn't work with my Geo's.

Betty

Staff member

momsfishn

I keep the Sydontis Featherfin in my 75 with my Mbunas. I have 2 and they seem quite aggfressive with each other but not so much with the other fish. They were around 2" when I got them and they are now at least as big as my largest Mbunas. I fed them at night when I first got them and I didnt see them much. So now I feed them at the same time as the others and they stay out much more now. I will try to get some pictures of them. the ones I have are pretty poor. Just my 2 cents.

sonnys503

I've always enjoyed the the sydontis over most bottom dwellers, they don't get bigger than 5-6 inches. the multies will not breed with all africans, they will try but there are only a few species that will allow the multies to parasite. I've used malawai peacocks, but they eventually stop breeding.
the Blue dolphin moorri will host and I can't recall the other species that will.

You'll be the first to get a Multi spawn with Geos. :)

You have more chance to breeding Petricolas then getting the multipuntatus to find a host.
Both Petricolas and multipunctatus look very similar and petricolas breed on their own.

gobluecichlids

I had wild synodontis mutipuntatus and have breed these with my mbunas and peacocks, I would say I got like 50 fry in over a yr, I strip them out of the females, the baby cats were already feeding on the other fry. These cats do grow fast. I get like 1-3 fry each time I strip a female.

Breeding them with fronts do not work. Neither will tropheus. The size of the cats eggs are smaller than the mbuna eggs, and much smaller than frontosa eggs (front eggs are as large as popcorn kernals).

I also did breed synodotis petricolas, I believe I had batched of eggs in a container filled with marbles, 3 times, I placed them in another tank and lasted about 3-4 days, did see the wigglers, but somehow on the 4th day, it dissolved. These cats takes forever to grow, could take like 2 yrs to reach adult sizes. I gave up on these kind.

I have not heard any other success on other kind of synos.