Your oldest tank

Betty

Staff member
I saw in the chat that Joel had a tank disaster and it renewed my concern about my old tanks.

I bought my oldest tank in 1984. It's been moved to 6 states and sat in storage when we were in Japan. It's a 55 gallon so would be a big mess if/when it has a sudden failure.

Maybe I should retire it? How old is too old? What's your oldest running tank?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
All my tanks are fairly 'new' in the sense that with our downsize/remodel/move we did about 4 years ago, it included new tanks. The 300 and 65B's are made by custom aquariums.com and are built like tanks. Thick glass, low iron, and super good silicone. I dont see issues any with them.

My 75's are newer, within the past 6 months but at Petco sale tanks made by Aqueon. The silicone work is bad and thin. Glad these are all being set up in the garage! I dont trust them. I also have a 20L made by Aqueon and it is adequate but only reason Im trusting it is that it is so low of gallon and a shallow tank. I will likely replace that 20L with something just sightly larger, maybe a 40B.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
No idea how old.
90g euro brace picked up from side of road a year ago
2 55g gifted but are used
2 29g are in the 10yr ish I think
100g acrylic no idea. CL find
220g hobbyist/custom no idea. CL find
2x 20g upstairs were CL finds. No idea
30g bowfront gifted used tank
One 55 and the 220 are currently empty. I think the 90g is the only one I tested by filling outside.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I got my oldest tank when I turned 16.... I’m 41 now. It has been to college and back as well as 6 houses. The heater is also original

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I have an acrylic 75 (5') and two standard glass 55's that have been in service continuously since I moved to Seattle in 1987. Broke them down completely two years ago when I was replacing the gravel, inspected everything, and saw no issues with the seams or anywhere else. So why worry?

That said, peace of mind is worth something, and 55's are not expensive. Pick up a new one at the next Petco sale if you want to stop fretting. It's always nice to have a new tank. :)

Betty

Staff member
...That said, peace of mind is worth something, and 55's are not expensive. Pick up a new one at the next Petco sale if you want to stop fretting. It's always nice to have a new tank. :)
I do like new tanks -- but I don't like how narrow the 55s are from front to back. My 35 year old 55 is a little bit wider and not quite as tall as the 55s are now. I think the glass might be thicker and it has a glass center brace that has never come loose, unlike my newer 60 gallon and 38 gallon that have both had the plastic center braces split apart! I guess they just don't make them like they used to.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I just picked up a 30 that would have the same footprint as your 38g (36x12) I have to agree on the narrow thing. Kind of wish they did them at 15" wide like you sometimes find in certain acrylic sizes. As time has progresses on my gargae tank project Ive really come to appreciate the wider 75 gallon tank and just hoe much you can do with them. Im glad I didnt do the narrow 55g in this case.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have always liked the breeder tanks because of the 18” width. I have the 2 55g but wish they had a little more depth. 75 or 90g are nice but I need a stool to reach the back or bottom. Bowfront tanks are cool because you get the variety of depths but I hate the distortion. End of rant :confused:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have always liked the breeder tanks because of the 18” width. I have the 2 55g but wish they had a little more depth. 75 or 90g are nice but I need a stool to reach the back or bottom. Bowfront tanks are cool because you get the variety of depths but I hate the distortion. End of rant :confused:
lol, rant on!

I really wish I would have done 50g breeders as opposed to 65's. That extra tall tank is not fun to clean!