Yet another "worms and bugs in my tank" thread, with a twist

I think you can keep a betta fed by creating a bug/worm/snail-compatible environment in a larger tank. Kind of a neat idea. Here is how I did it accidentally.

I've had a beta for about 15 months now. I call him Captain Phillips (from the movie) because he is a bad ass. He'll flare and posture when my 85 pound golden retriever comes up to the tank. For a year he lived in a 12 gallon. Normal thing...I fed him, he ate well, he swam around. There were some low light plants.

Three months ago I splurged on a 30 gallon and plopped him in there, and began adding more plants. He loved the room. At one point I added a small 2" bristlenose and he began attacking it...it was dead the next morning...that kind of betta. Captain Phillips had always been a good eater, but at one point his appetite dropped dramatically. He seemed to be doing fine, but it got to the point where I'd drop a single betta pellet he'd ignore it.

I just recently moved him to a 5 gallon (the plan all along). In the 5 gallon were an assortment of tiny bugs and snails. It is a dirted tank, and I mixed plants in from several sources, moving plants between the 5 and 30 gallon a few times too. The larger bugs look like copepods, so I assume that is what the smaller ones are too, even though they are nothing more than tiny white specs. Captain had a feast that first night, and still often looks at the substrate and around the plants "hunting". He eats more fish food, so I know the bugs in the 5 gallon don't satisfy his needs.

It is now a week after Captain Phillips moved. Since then the 30 gallon has seen a copepod "explosion". The snails are out and more visible, and there are more tiny baby snails. What's more, there are a lot of "swimming worms". These things are about a half inch long and can seriously wiggle their way through the water against the current. I noticed this evening an increased number of mini worms, maybe a few millimeters long, doing the same. I had seen a few of these worms before Mr. Betta moved out, but not this many.

I assume Mr. Betta was munching on all this stuff, their numbers down and his belly full. I assume all this stuff is safe for fish. He survived it. He ate it. :D

Anyone else something similar happen? Any clue what the worms are?

B

big01612

Re: Yet another "worms and bugs in my tank" thread, with a t

Do they look like this
2-nematodes.jpg

or like this
3-planaria_a.jpg

Re: Yet another "worms and bugs in my tank" thread, with a t

I can't see those pictures, but with detective work I was able to tell you got them from http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/healthdisease/122-worms-in-tank.html.

These things are definitely nematodes. I was able to take some pictures of them this morning. There are so many it isn't hard. Keep in mind that these guys are only 1/2 inch in real life.

Attachments

• DSCF3713.JPG
    DSCF3713.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF3714.JPG
    DSCF3714.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF3716.JPG
    DSCF3716.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF3718.JPG
    DSCF3718.JPG