Wolf Cichlid agression

Chiisai

I am truly in aww this evening. So one of my Dovii is about 3" so still pretty small in a 30gal. I had a 5" Goldfish from my pond I moved into his tank just for 24hrs until I got the pond cleaned out properly. I thought with the goldfish being about twice the Dovii in size it shouldnt be a problem. SUre the goldfish might get bullied a bit, but a lil bit of bullying never hurt me.

I just went into my garage (fish room) and found the 5" goldfish in 3 pieces none larger then 1/2" in diameter. :shock:  I am truly amazed and in awe of this lil fish. I never thought in my wildest dreams a fish would take on and then dismember a fish almost twice his size.

P.S. I think he will go an extra 2 days before I feed him.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Crazy. I haven't really seen aggression in Dovii until they reach over the 6" mark.....though I watched one of my9" jags swallow my 4" mag x umbee last night.... I only put the jag in the tank so that I could really do a deep clean on the jag tank......and man that umbee was pricy

Chiisai

fishNAbowl said:
Um, you did do research on this fish right?BEAST
Yes... but everything I read said they bully things same or SMALLER then them. Never read anything about they kill things bigger. I feel I was denied vital need to know information.

A

Anonymous

Chiisai said:
fishNAbowl said:
Um, you did do research on this fish right?BEAST
Yes... but everything I read said they bully things same or  SMALLER then them. Never read anything about they kill things bigger. I feel I was denied vital need to know information.
Aggressive, territorial cichlids can be capable of anything. It depends on genetics and some on individuality. Reading species info is usually generalized information. It doesn't tell you about that known aggressive fish that's  completely laid back, or that one crazy sucker out of 100 that just goes nuts no matter what. Seriously though, Dovii AKA the Wolf cichlid is known to be one of the nastiest fish out there when it comes to territory. So if this fish has been in a tank all by itself long enough to establish the tank as it's territory it doesn't surprise me it murdered that goldfish.

A

Anonymous

Chiisai said:
Maybe the goldfish was making fun of him/her and he/she just snapped :p
Lol! I've had fish make some nasty messes out of tank mates before. The fun part is cleaning the tank out & trying your best to get all the pieces out so it don't rot & make a stinky mess :superpuke: 

Chiisai

I have a younger one about 2-3 inches. Damn fish need to be sexable ASAP not wait till they are fully grown lol.

Madness

Staff member
Chiisai said:
I have a younger one about 2-3 inches. Damn fish need to be sexable ASAP not wait till they are fully grown lol.
You have a Nicaraguan Dovii. I can sex Dovii by looking at them at around 4-5".

Chiisai

NO I have a smaller one then the one I have the pic of. I just never posted pic because its shy and I cant post a video as of yet. I fyou would like PM your direct Email and I can send you link to a video of the smaller one. Curryently I am thinking he/she is only 3-4" so not sure if its big enough