Will this acrylic sheet bend/warp?

L190

I believe this will warp. I believe in an old post someone said that lexan might be a better choice

SonicsDC25

I don't mind if it warps just a little bit, but wondering if it's possible for it to be so warped that it would slump down and touch the top of the water O_O

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
You want to use Lexan for your tops. Lexan does not bend like acrylic.

SonicsDC25

Looking for something relatively cheap, otherwise I'd just end up buying glass Aqueon Versa lids, but I want to save money to spend it on fish lol :D

popss

best bet is glass, lexan or acrylic, any kind of plexi is going to bow, you can turn it over every week or so but will still always bow

keman

Ya, even cast acrylic will warp if it is only exposed to water on one side. I have tried this for lids and don't care for the long term results. Getting glass cut to fit is not real expensive. Buy from a glass shop instead of home depot or the like. Glass shops can cut 3/16th glass for tops. I did the tops for Katie's 100G in the 3/16ths for less than $35 at Nieman glass here in Auburn.

You can also go to Bulk Reef Supply and buy 1/4" square U/V resistant netting for cheap. Go to HD or Lowes and they have window screen kits. SUPER easy and MUCH sharer lookin than glass and NO: Salt creep to block light, less surface for for algae to block light and turn tops green. I'll never go back!!

TFP

keman

TheFishPimp said:
You can also go to Bulk Reef Supply and buy 1/4" square U/V resistant netting for cheap. Go to HD or Lowes and they have window screen kits. SUPER easy and MUCH sharer lookin than glass and NO: Salt creep to block light, less surface for for algae to block light and turn tops green. I'll never go back!!

TFP

Any pics of this??

If someone can politely explain to me in a private message how to post pictures without having to open a new account on another host site like Photobucket then I'm in.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I used lexon on my 125 tanks. I have used them for three years now and haven't had any warping. I also have an acrylic lid on my 75 and when that starts to sag, I just flip it over ( needs to be done every 6 months or so. Take my experiences with a grain of salt as I am only one of many using these things and I'm sure experiences vary greatly.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
From the fish pimp......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17