Will plecos eat fry?

Ratlova30

I'll soon be moving my Jewel cichlid to a different 20gal but I'm leaving my 7" common pleco in it's current tank so that he'll be easy to catch when I find a home for him. My platy fry are growing and getting cramped and I wanted to move them to the 20gal that Muffin the pleco is in but I'm worried he'll chow down on them. Do you think he would be okay with them?

Will to give away 1/2" platy fry to good pet home.

aquaman95

those fish will be gone right as soon as you lights are off.faster than you can blink when i have egg layng fish i keep plecos in the tank so i dont have to take eggs

Ratlova30

I just need to find Muffin a home, nobody wants the poor guy though. He's a cool fish but I don't have a large enough tank to house him.

aquaman95

i would take but my jag would get it jammed in its mouth.i love plecos even regular thet are a truly amazing fish that have helped me on my 8 year journey of fish keeping multiple times.they just get poop sooo much they make tanks nasty

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ratlova30 said:
I just need to find Muffin a home, nobody wants the poor guy though. He's a cool fish but I don't have a large enough tank to house him.
Have you tried to Craigslist "STUD" Muffin yet? If you put him up for free seems like someone would want him.

Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood would probably take him.

Ratlova30

Yes I did try craigslist and I'd rather not dump him at pet store. I want to make sure he ends up in a good and large enough sized home that can handle his potentially massive size.

Ratlova30

I think I may have found a 110gal home for Muffin :cheers: :cheers: :beer:

Crossing my fingers the deal goes through.

It will be sad to see Muffin go, I really love common plecos. I sure wish peeps would do their research before buying them though. I've lost count of how many smaller tanks I've bought where there was a common pleco in it. Then trying to find a large enough home for it is a joke.

I'll have to start a common pleco rescue in the future... :spoton: