Wild fish in Kelsey Creek, Bellevue

LuminousAphid

I stopped by for a little walk between the doctor and work, and spotted some minnows-or baby fishes-in an eddy near one of the bridges. They seemed to have a white stripe on the rear half of their back extending into the tail, and looked like the sides had some striation or vertical dark-light bars. Brown-looking overall, but I didn't get a very close look at them.

I am tempted to go get some so I can take pics, but I think I will feel bad if I kill some before I am able to put them back. Without some kind of pic I think it's impossible, but anyone here know native fish and might have an idea what these could be? Many species of minnows around here I have found out researching, but none really look like those did... I wonder if they are a juvenile trout or something.

We got to see the Baker Dam hatchery release thousands of them into Baker Lake a few years ago, but I wasn't into fish then so I didn't pay attention to what they looked like, just how many we saw dying :(

I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but could it be a Rosy Minnow?
They're not native here, but more invasive, than anything.. *shrug*

dwarfpike

defaultGen.aspx

???

Best guess based on this -> http://www.bellevuewa.gov/pdf/Utilities/FishUse_Kelsey.pdf

Nick_87

Juvenile Coho Salmon is my best guess. These little guys are in almost every stream around the state.

03.jpg

LuminousAphid

i think nick might be right, congrats! i think i was seeing that white tip on the top fin, i was thinking it went back toward the tail but i guess it's just the top fin.

i'm pretty sure that's what they were, although can't be certain.

well, now that the mystery is solved, i will ask another question; does anyone keep any species of native minnows at home? like i said, in researching i found that there are actually over a dozen which live in this state, which i had no idea about. i thought our wild freshwater fish were all salmon and trout, i had no idea there was such a variety of smaller species.

edit; also i found this reading over the report that dwarfpike posted; 'Lamprey were found in all electrofished reaches in 2007, including lower reaches and almost as far upstream as the crossing with 148th Ave NE.'

13lamprey_hickey.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOO