Wierd worms

Knutsen1122

Has anyone ever seen these tiny little worms? I can't seem to get them out of my tanks. They live in the filters and substrate but don't really affect anything. Except they annoy the $h!@t out of me. How do I get rid of them? I just set up this 20g qt tank tonight and pulled a hob filter off another tank and this is what came out of it. :/

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428122818.662372.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428122818.662372.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 56
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428122826.494470.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428122826.494470.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 56

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
not sure what they are. But I'm sure tetras etc would devour them.

Betty

Staff member
My guess would be some type of detritus worm or nematode. You should be able to get rid of a lot of them by making sure you stay on top of vacuuming and water changes, feed a good quality food, but do not overfeed! Also have plenty of filtration. I had a bunch of similar looking worms when I first started raising fry a long time ago. I was overfeeding the tank to make sure they were all getting plenty to eat. Cutting back on the amount of food stopped it from recurring.

A

Anonymous

After planting dwarf hair grass in my 140 I noticed these little white/transparent worms in the substrate slithering around the roots. A bit concerned but it has got to be a natural element to a heavily planted tank. Right?

Knutsen1122

fishNAbowl said:
After planting dwarf hair grass in my 140 I noticed these little white/transparent worms in the substrate slithering around the roots. A bit concerned but it has got to be a natural element to a heavily planted tank. Right?
actually they are only in my tanks that are not planted :/ I actually don't notice them until I mess with the substrate or filters.

ziggyzoo

ya I have these in my filter too. I have read a couple things.. Either way they aren't bad. I have read that they show up when there's excess waste in a tank and cut back on feedings and they'll go away. And I have heard they're there because you have a very healthy tank an its a good sign. Lol but either way they are harmless, so I have read.

Knutsen1122

I'm not too worried about them harming anything, they just seem nasty. What's weird is this morning when I turned the light on that tank it is crystal clear haha

ziggyzoo

Lol weird mine were only in the filter, I also had a big snail in there I have no clue how the heck it got there! And these strange little rounded clear bug things. Those creeped me out more than the worms lol I'm a hypochondriac lol so I saw them and instantly got online to make sure humans can't be affected/infected with them! When I heard about fish tb I almost gave everything away cause I was so paranoid!!! Hahahahahaha im a goober