Why isnt my frogspawn coral opening

vanfish

I just got two heads of frogspawn coral. They were okay for two days all open and no issues. now one of them has not opened.

Water is totally fine iv done all tests.
What I have in the tank:
peppermint shrimp
Two buldoser snails
a yellow tail demsel
and two hermit crabs
I noticed something that looks like a centipede(white). some really small snails, baby starfish(just on glass not corals)

I yesterday fed them frozen brine shrimp (defrosted)
and today rotated the head so its gets the water current from a different direction. (not sure if that will do anything)

Do you guys have any ideas?

Zerc

by totally fine water parameters, you will have to expand a little.

What have you done to the tank it the last few days?

has anything (even in small amounts) been dropped in the tank recently?

vanfish

Just fed the fish and coral frozen brine shrimp(derosted)

Today after lowering the current and rotating them they are both open more. The one that is normal is open all the way even I can clearly see the mouth, and the other one is doing better but still not looking to good.

0 ammonia
0 nitrite(undetectable)
0 nitrate (undetectable)
ph. 8.2
Kh 8

Anthraxx

forgive me if im mistaken but with salt dont u have to worry about a whole slurry of other minerals in super minute quantities? especially with corals? if im wrong.. then maybe i need to reconsider salt :p

Zerc

only for reef tanks. I have some coral and I just do tap water and everything grows fine... don't tell anyone though! :silent:

lilfishie

Anthraxx, all trace elements are replaced with regular water changes.
Big thing to worry about with coral are the typical levels of Salinity, Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, pH, Magnesium, Alkalinity and Calcium.

Sidekicking, your probably on the right track.
corl does take some time to get used to the new lighting, water parameters and water flow.

Vanfish, if it doesnt open up after a few days, move it a little to a little less flow or a little more depending on where it is now. Frogspawn likes medium lighting and medium flow.

vanfish

its starting to open up more and more everyday. ill give another update if things start going down hill..

What i ended up doing is lowering the water flow.

clownie

A couple of questions i have.........how old are your test kits and when was your last water change?

I find whenever my frogspawn doesn't open my trates are running a little high, usally 10-20ppm's. If you haven't recently do a 20 % water change, wait a day and see if it opens then. HTH

lilfishie

Glad to hear.
Sometimes it just takes some time to let them settle in and sometimes you need to move them to another area to see if they like it better there.

Now where are the pictures?
:D