Whose got 'em?

sandnuka

Think he is still out of town, as soon as he comes back I am going to try and get him to become a sponsor so I dont feel as bad directed members there instead of our current sponsors... but I Agree, he has probably some of the best priceing on that size....

I know midway has some fish in, so did place for pets.... but your lookin 40+ dollars.... Honestly, i would keep checkin CL, I found a awesome breeder that actually just became a member... his fish are still dime sized though... but great priceing... give him a PM "Discus213"

Markstr

FWIW, it would be nice if people could learn to Identify Good from Bad as far as purchasing these beautiful fish. This is learning more about the species in general..
These are NOT a fish in general for beginners. And having a understanding of Meds and general husbandry for keeping them etc. on hand is a must . I've just seen too many of these Fish in such a poor state health wize.. Oh boy..............

GoodnNuff

"These are NOT a fish in general for beginners."
- I agree with that.

"And having a understanding of Meds and general husbandry for keeping them etc. on hand is a must ."
- Again I agree, and this applies to most fish species IMO.

"I've just seen too many of these Fish in such a poor state health wize.. Oh boy.............."

I've noticed that with most fish species, haven't you? Been to a Walmart's fish section?

Since I'm the OP here, it's not a stretch to feel your comment was directed at me, so allow me to respond.

I'm 51 years old, and my first aquarium was an Xmas gift when I was 8 or 9. Since that time there was only about a 5-6 year period where I didn't own fish. Even through college I had either a 75 or 125 gal aquarium going. Now that doesn't qualify me as an expert by any means, but it does give me experience. I've had SW fish only tanks, and a couple of SW reef tanks, all healthy and successful. In all those years I've never owned Discus because I felt they were too challenging and difficult to keep.
Now some 45 years after my first aquarium, I feel I know enough and have the proper water parameters to attempt discus.
And I'm a bit obsessive about research prior to starting something...

Ashley

GoodnNuff said:
"These are NOT a fish in general for beginners."
- I agree with that.

"And having a understanding of Meds and general husbandry for keeping them etc. on hand is a must ."
- Again I agree, and this applies to most fish species IMO.

"I've just seen too many of these Fish in such a poor state health wize.. Oh boy.............."

I've noticed that with most fish species, haven't you? Been to a Walmart's fish section?

Since I'm the OP here, it's not a stretch to feel your comment was directed at me, so allow me to respond.

I'm 51 years old, and my first aquarium was an Xmas gift when I was 8 or 9. Since that time there was only about a 5-6 year period where I didn't own fish. Even through college I had either a 75 or 125 gal aquarium going. Now that doesn't qualify me as an expert by any means, but it does give me experience. I've had SW fish only tanks, and a couple of SW reef tanks, all healthy and successful. In all those years I've never owned Discus because I felt they were too challenging and difficult to keep.
Now some 45 years after my first aquarium, I feel I know enough and have the proper water parameters to attempt discus.
And I'm a bit obsessive about research prior to starting something...
Good for you! Someone that researches before they buy something! I wish you all the best with your discus. King discus in Seattle has BUNCH of them but I don't think they are the cheapest, but probably the best looking IMO. I don't know if you have been there before but if not, it is definitely worth checking out!

GoodnNuff

Thanks Ashley. I purchased 4 discus from King's on Tuesday, they are doing fine and are in quarantine for the next few weeks.

Not the cheapest, but they appear very healthy. I've seen other's at several of our LFS, but the colors have been dull, or fins slightly clamped.