Who knows how to repair Acrylic?

me

I do! But, here's the deal.. As some of your probably know, I am in Japan, and my bro is taking care of my fish. Well, the 150 which I repaired about 3 years ago gave out and started leaking. I am guessing because at the time I knew less about acrylic and did both the real kinda acrylic repair and silicone also. The repair would have held, except there were some holes drilled by the previous owner to prevent the crack from spreading, and these are what I did not repair properly. I am 99.9% sure it is simply a matter of the tiny holes allowing water to seep through the silicone, and possibly working into the repaired crack as well. The crack was a perfect fine crack on the bottom, it extended from the overflow, which may actually be the problem since I actually just filled the overflows with siliconed acrylic squares cut to fit. If most of this makes sense to you please tell me how you would go about repairing this, and if you pass the test, and my brother hasn't since fixed it you are invited to come to centralia and do the repair.... in exchange for....... sloppy drum roll.... a 125 gallon acrylic, that basically needs a complete new bottom, or a very well done repair on the existing one. The 125 has very nice acrylic all around except the bottom which is basically two pieces. Is is a 5 foot tank with rounded corners.

So who wants a free tank in exchange for a bit of work. The repair has to be proved successful for the tank, ie the tank needs to be placed on the stand and hold water. My bro is had a bit of surgery recently, nothing major, but he can't lift the tank, so you will need a friend to help you muscle it on the stand. Really. though it's acrylic, it's a 150, and has thick acrylic.

Soooo, who's coming!! :afro:

Fish Addict

Weldon 16 I think.... It makes a bond in the acrylic that just as strong if not stronger the surrounding acrylic if we could get pics I know I could help more because I have repaired tons of acrylic but am very visual

A

Anonymous

Fish Addict said:
Weldon 16 I think.... It makes a bond in the acrylic that just as strong if not stronger the surrounding acrylic if we could get pics I know I could help more because I have repaired tons of acrylic but am very visual
I have used weldon #16 before and frankly I will not use anything else.

me

Is that the thicker stuff? I used weldon 3 if memory serves me. I've used it since without problems, just this tank was the first time I used it, and I should have done it a bit different.

Fish Addict

I have heard of people having problems fixing a tank with Weldon 3 but I have never heard of people have problems with Weldon 16 unless they did it wrong