White bump on severum

cjag

Hi all, I was wondering if I could have some input on this white bump on my severum's dorsal fin. He's been by himself in a 20g quarantine tank for almost two weeks now. Nothing was wrong, he's just a new purchase. There are no other signs of illness. He eats like a pig and is super personable.

20210123_174531.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I think DMD had a similar issue with his trimac. He had a thread on it here and can’t remember off hand what exactly he found out about it, but I know he has successfully treated it

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry it took a while for me to respond, I was looking for pictures and info on this.

This was what was on my Trimac.
8432E943-21B6-46AA-BE4A-2DCE0EB8EEF2.png
EE50F7D9-55D6-492C-8F32-659AA0F5D69C.png
Best way to describe it is that it looks like a white pimple. This one got fuzzy looking and then a second one appeared nearby. I medicated with a few things but after some research it looks to be Lympocystis. This is viral and there are no meds that really do anything about it. Clean water seems to be the best thing to do for it. Mine took months to settle down but now it looks okay, no raised spot or fuzzy looking, but small scar that is barely noticeable.

Helpful read: https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-8-lymphocystis/

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Forgot to mention that I had used Seachem StressGuard during a round of treatment and the spot reacted favorably to it. Mind you no all out cure but less fuzzy, swelling look about it. I ran a Kanaplex treatment so it would not get infected. All pretty much a waste since viral. Clean water and patience/time will probably clear it up.

cjag

Sorry it took a while for me to respond, I was looking for pictures and info on this.

This was what was on my Trimac.
View attachment 7656
View attachment 7657
Best way to describe it is that it looks like a white pimple. This one got fuzzy looking and then a second one appeared nearby. I medicated with a few things but after some research it looks to be Lympocystis. This is viral and there are no meds that really do anything about it. Clean water seems to be the best thing to do for it. Mine took months to settle down but now it looks okay, no raised spot or fuzzy looking, but small scar that is barely noticeable.

Helpful read: https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-8-lymphocystis/
Hey,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yeah lymphocystis, that was the only thing I was getting in search results for "white bump severum". Is it super contagious and is it reoccurring? Luckily he is still in a quarantine tank so I will try and just provide clean water and low stress for him. The link you provided showed some pretty gnarly growths, is his gonna get that bad? Right now it just looks like a big ich spot.

He was gonna go in my main display tank next week, but I guess now I have to wait QQQQQQ

cjag

Further reading says that it is kinda like herpes in humans I guess? Fish can always be infected but it may flare up at times? Also see people saying that yes it is very contagious. In that case I don't know if I should ever add him to my main tank then...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say what will happen. My trimac recovery was slow and it never got too gnarly looking but it took my show quality fish and gave him a bit of scar tissue on the tail. Most wouldn’t notice it but I see it. I think my fish got stressed out and then the spot showed up. I tried all kinds of things to de-stress him but who knows what finally helped. I was water changing daily for a while and I think that stressed him out more, lol.

I don’t really know if it’s contagious, I didnt really consider that aspect since my trimac is a solo wet pet.

cjag

Hard to say what will happen. My trimac recovery was slow and it never got too gnarly looking but it took my show quality fish and gave him a bit of scar tissue on the tail. Most wouldn’t notice it but I see it. I think my fish got stressed out and then the spot showed up. I tried all kinds of things to de-stress him but who knows what finally helped. I was water changing daily for a while and I think that stressed him out more, lol.

I don’t really know if it’s contagious, I didnt really consider that aspect since my trimac is a solo wet pet.
Changed his water today and it looks like the bump is gone. So strange.