Which filter would work best?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
So I have a brackish water tank with a GSP in it. I am going to upgrade his tank and it is a known fact GSP are dirty little things. So I want to over filtrate this upgrade as much as possible. As well this is a planted tank. I have 3 filters for options. I am wanting an HOB and put on a 20 gallon tank. These are the options, in order of which I was considering best to least, but I want your opinion as well. Keep in mind I plan to go carbon-less as well with the filters.

Imagine Bio Power Filter 75 : http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/imagine-bio-power-filter-75.html

Removes organic film and dust from the water surface Delivers oxygen rich surface water to the filter which enhances the growth of nitrifying bacteria A special skimmer valve also allows water intake from the middle and bottom of the aquarium Provides complete water circulation and filtration For freshwater or marine aquariums Includes 2 BIO 3 Filter Cartridges Filters 350 gph and is rated for tanks up to 75 gallons.

Aquaclear110 Power Filter : http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/aquaclear-110-power-filter.html

Provides mechanical and biological filtration for both fresh and salt water. Include sponge and carbon bag to get you started. Filter 428 gph and is rated for aquariums up to 110 gallons.

Whisper EX70 Power Filter : http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/whisper-ex70-power-filter.html

Simple set-up - it is ready to go right out of the box, you only have to adjust the intake tube to the proper depth and plug it in. Simple operation - Timestrip tells you when to change the carbon filter. Access door stays in place while changing filter. Carrier for filter keeps your hands away from dirty cartridges and virtually eliminates drips on floors and furniture. Submerged motor requires less maintenance than previous external models. Scientifically engineered water flow - Rounded shape creates circular flow that prevents sediment from forming in bottom of system chamber. Water is forced through new multi-density carbon filters that suspend the carbon for greater contact and improved filtration. New non-clogging bio-scrubber forces all water to flow over its entire surface. No bypass is allowed. The bristle design provides more surface area for biological conversion of toxic ammonia to harmless compounds. For 45 - 70 gallon aquariums. Filters 340 gph.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
No question the 110 will perform the best. Imagine bio power filters are poorly made for sure. Used to sell them at the old shop I managed.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I don't remember exactly but I want to say it's 14 inches long and like 5.5 inches wide from the back of the tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have a AC110 on my 40B with the hairy puffer and another on my 72g bowfront (along with an Eheim 2217). The initial investment is a bit more but you save in the long run because you do not have to constantly buy disposable cartridges. You can rinse the foam in tank water and continue to reuse.

Ive also owned the AC70 which is also an excellent filter.

I have a Tetra EX30 that Ive never used but would not recommend it due to media cost. The cheapest I could find the replacements were at kensfish. Only reason I have it was because it was cheap and its just an emergency back up filter. $17 on sale with a $10 rebate.

dwarfpike

Wouldn't the 110 create a metric ton of current in such a small tank? (not sure how much current they like though).

I like 110's btw, despite being a pain to clean, great filters, but I've only used them on larger tanks hence the current question.

plaamoo

I don't know what a GSP is but I hope it's a strong swimmer!  :D  I can't imagine a 110 on a 20 gallon tank. Think about a 70, or maybe two, a 50 & a 30.

My 110 is 13.5" across, 7" front to back, and 9" top to bottom.

Seattle_Aquarist

plaamoo

Seattle_Aquarist said:
Hagen AquaClear 110 500 gph 13 ½" X 4"  
It is 4" from back of filter to back of tank. The 7" measurement I gave was across the top counting the overhang. I run mine with sponges and mesh bags of bio-media.

A

Anonymous

I run an AC70 on a 30 gallon with the flow turned all the way down and the current is just low enough to be comfortable to the inhabitants. If the water gets to low and a water fall develops the current becomes to much.

I recommend doubling specified filtration but a AC110 I believe will be to much flow. I like Aquaclear HOB's for their versatility. All my tanks have double the rated filtration in media and do well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
I recommend doubling specified filtration but a AC110 I believe will be to much flow. I like Aquaclear HOB's for their versatility. All my tanks have double the rated filtration in media and do well.  
I have always used that as a rule of thumb. Whatever a manufacturer recommends, basically cut in half. I find this is really the size filter you should be using.

I went back and looked again at the original post, so to clarify, is this HOB going on a 20 gallon? If so I would use an AC50, the AC110 will create way to much current.

A

Anonymous

DMD123 said:
fishNAbowl said:
I have always used that as a rule of thumb. Whatever a manufacturer recommends, basically cut in half. I find this is really the size filter you should be using.

I went back and looked again at the original post, so to clarify, is this HOB going on a 20 gallon?  If so I would use an AC50, the AC110 will create way to much current.

:plus1:

cichlid-gal

I have 20G tanks with both 50's and 70's on them. The 50's definately give the tank a lower and gentler flow. Another thing I do with my Aquaclears is use a plastic bottle (cut the middle section and then cut in half) draped over the back and outflow to divert the flow from going straight across the tank and causing it to go sideways down the back. This works great in my tanks needing "lower" flow. So I still get the great filtration without all that movement. Fish are happy happy.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Awesome. Thanks everyone! This is why I like to ask on here. I didn't consider there being too much flow. I will go with the AC50. :)

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Awesome. Thanks everyone! This is why I like to ask on here. I didn't consider there being too much flow. I will go with the AC50. :)
 :spoton: 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The Aquaclear is a great filter. Now that that has been said, I also really like the Penguins by Marineland. They are very inexpensive and the way they design the output on them work great for not making tank current but a good surface current. I also like the fact if you stay with the 200 and 350 models they use the same cartridge. The bad is that they use disposable cartridges that contain carbon so you would have to modify them to not use it. I just threw it out there because for the money I think they are pretty decent filters. Likely can get two for the price of an aquaclear.