Which dry food for Dwarf Cichlids? I need your expertise...

BallardFishGuy

So I have a few Dwarf Cichlids (German Rams and Egyptian Mouth Brooders/Victoraie) and I have been feeding them frozen blood worms, live black worms and Hikari Mico Waffers. The Micro Waffers were from a sample pack and they ceratainly like them well enough and I could order more of it but would a "Cichlid" specific food be better for them? :scratch: 

I was thinking maybe Hikari Cichlids Gold Sinking (Mini) Pellet? Are there better options for the money? Anyway Cichlids are new(ish) to me and any help or help is apprecaited. If all else fails I can ask Mike Wise next month. :sunny: 

BallardFishGuy

I meant size food for those small mouths, there are too many options to choose from but i'm guessing the food the size of their head would be too big. :lol

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I feed my juvenile sa/ca cichlids ( similar size to dwarfs that are full grown) the 1mm pellets from nls and also the aqueon pellets of the same size. My fish are thriving on these two. They are about th get bumped up to the 3mm size soon.

BallardFishGuy

lloyd378 said:
I feed my juvenile sa/ca cichlids ( similar size to dwarfs that are full grown) the 1mm pellets from nls and also the aqueon pellets of the same size. My fish are thriving on these two.   They are about th get bumped up to the 3mm size soon.
what is NLS?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
New life spectrum.... You can get good deals on it off of amazon ..... Most cichlid keepers swear by it!  Just ask/ pm fishman(Forrest) he has vast knowledge about it and his fish eat only it I believe and his fishes health and color speak for themselves

They have top quality ingredients not much of the bad stuff and you can get it with garlic as someone mentioned/ asked about above

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
NLS has a specific 1mm cichlid pellet also. They have their Thera A (with garlic) and a new ultra red formula in the 1mm sizes too.

nick_76

im not a fan of NLS...the cult-like ad copy kinda steers me away from it..

I use hikari for all my non-flakes
marineland is my typical flake, but im trying to find a replacement-
my fish categorically refuse to eat omega one. if you were further south id give you my jar, maybe youd have better luck
im alternating between seachem flakes and cobalt aquatics
the cobalt stuff comes in some ginormous flakes..size of a nickel, a quarter- im not kidding
seachem arrived pretty ground up..really small, smells of garlic- not sure I feel comfortable with that. had discus have a bad reaction to garlic once

don't know if that helps any

nick_76

I really wanna try that southern delight and the Canadian stuff recently mentioned on list- nice sized kibble, promising ingredients..now where to get it locally? yes, cory , I know you ship..

BallardFishGuy

If I were a smart guy I would email these companies (Hikari, NLS, Ken's) and ask for a sample of each and see what my fish prefer as these all seem like good options and if the fish really like one over the other then there you go! hummmm....

cichlid-gal

I feed NLS 1mm sinking pellets along with DRAF flake. Watch live blackworms with cichlids, they are known to cause bloat. Too much protein in cichlids is not a good thing. A little is fine.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
nick_76 said:
im not a fan of NLS...the cult-like ad copy kinda steers me away from it..
:lmfao:  I know what you mean. I am one of those who believe one food does not rule them all. So I mix it up. While NLS is a good product I have had excellent results with my NLS, Dainichi, Omega One, Hikari mix. I use different size and types of pellets in my mix and the fish just tear it up.

star_rider

you may need a couple different foods for different requirements.

I have rams Altispinosa and Ramirezi..
SA cichlids usually do fine with higher protein foods.. I do feed them kens spirulina as well as most SA's with forage the bottom and eat mulm/detritus and peck at vegetation.

your Egyptian mouth brooders may require a different specific food in their diet.

as for mine.. I feed tetra colorbits,NLS(my discus do not like this), sera(testing) and cobalt.
they also ge some Bloodworms(frozen and fd) as well as mysis.

Many of the Rams are housed in my discus tanks so the eat with the discus ..they seem to be doing quite well.
the Bolivians (Altispinosa) are often housed in my Scalare tanks..Altums are by them selves but may eventually get some Ramirezi as tank mates after I am convinced there are no issues with them(Blue rams) my Altum are my pride and Joy

cichlid-gal

The Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae are omnivores...so a little of both protein and plant is good for them and they are not real picky.

sea1

For my tank with apistos, I do Ken's flakes, Hikari freeze dried blood worms and Repashy community plus.