Where are the cheapest led lights???

treehugger_147

What would be the cheapest option for putting led lights on my 55gal? Im looking to have a light with a day and night cycle i just like the night cycle so damn much!!!!!

A

Anonymous

DMD123 said:
Seems like most of the major companies have not figured out the need to separate the night and day lights to be on different power sources so you can run them on different timers. Cheapest LED lighting would likely be Beamswork found on a site like ebay or Aquatraders.com.
This hits the nail on the head. When researching LED fixtures I didn't find one manufacturer that had something built in that I could run a timer on both moon lighting and day lighting except a couple high end T5HO manufacturers that had internal timers that separated the blue LED's from the bulbs.

I started picking up separate individual blue LED's for moon lighting. I still haven't found exactly what I need to illuminate my 140 at night but I do have small separate blue lights for my 9.5 and 30 gallon.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
treehugger_147 said:
What would be the cheapest option for putting led lights on my 55gal? Im looking to have a light with a day and night cycle i just like the night cycle so damn much!!!!!
This is one of the only fixtures I know of that has two separate power supplies that would allow you to do what you want.
http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Aquarium-Freshwater-Tropical-Cichlid/dp/B00J7BOAYU/ref=sr_1_7?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1404829382&sr=1-7&keywords=cichlid+led+aquarium

KaraWolf

I wonder if it would be cheapest to build your own? I keep going back and forth over how to go about this for a 125. While also not making it look totally ghetto.

LuminousAphid

I think it would require either a kit, or quite a bit of electronics knowledge to actually build your own LED fixture that would last. I would think that if you got the voltages or circuits wrong, you could burn out the LED's pretty quickly. It may indeed be the cheapest option, though, if you have the ability to do it without it looking ghetto, like you say, haha

treehugger_147

Thanks everyone! In all reality if i could get an led light that only is the night light that would be awesome! Ill just keep my regular lights i have now and then turn the LED on at night!? is this possible to only get one 48' LED light that does only night??? cause i think what makes it spendy is the combination. Also if thats not possible im completely ok with having two different plugs thats not a problem

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
treehugger_147 said:
Thanks everyone! In all reality if i could get an led light that only is the night light that would be awesome! Ill just keep my regular lights i have now and then turn the LED on at night!? is this possible to only get one 48' LED light that does only night??? cause i think what makes it spendy is the combination. Also if thats not possible im completely ok with having two different  plugs thats not a problem
You are going to have a tough time finding a nice night LED for cheap. Your better off just buying a whole new fixture like the one I posted from Amazon that has the two power cords

treehugger_147

yeah that looks like the best option at this point! or i could just get over getting a new light! hahahaha jk im for sure gonna get one!

A

Anonymous

treehugger_147 said:
Thanks everyone! In all reality if i could get an led light that only is the night light that would be awesome! Ill just keep my regular lights i have now and then turn the LED on at night!? is this possible to only get one 48' LED light that does only night??? cause i think what makes it spendy is the combination. Also if thats not possible im completely ok with having two different  plugs thats not a problem
When LED lighting first came out Marineland came out with a single strip light in red, white, and blue. If i remember correctly they where 12 and 17 inch strips and water proof. . In my LED infancy I picked up 3 red light strips because they where labeled good for plant growth. Anyway, I still see them at Denny's Pet in Kirkland and Bridges in Snohomish. I believe they are still priced in the $40-$50 range.

Flyfalcons

I have a 48" Beamswork LED light that I attached a blue automotive LED light strip to, with a small Radio Shack power supply soldered on, for night use. Works great.