Whats your favorite New world cichlid?

sandnuka

Alright, I posted this in the african cichlid site..... Curious whats the result in this one too...... Ok, I want everyones participation.... What is your favorite American/New World Cichlid????

Mine would be the Electric blue Jack Dempsey

A

Anonymous

Salvini have always been one of my favorite. But its a hard question to give a definite answer to.

sandnuka

aaronfeeney, I was thinking of gettin some blue rams with my electic blue jack..... they look so small, really you can even see there personality??? can you be more specific??? like are they aggressive?? little wars in the tank, or jelous???

I forgot to mention, I love the midas cichlid... because of aaronfeeney comment on personality.... I guess I love the look of the electric blue dempsy, but the personality of a midas..... there like having a dog in the house.... when I used to get home, it would be all excited in the tank.... "feed me, feed me!" lol....

aaronfeeney

rams are too small for dempsy

Pretty peaceful, but they both seem very curious when someone is watching them, they watch back.. these 2 seem to be a bit territorial with each other, and not real concerned with most of my other community fish. All the dempsy's I've had , were bad asses and got pretty big(compared to rams) I had a 2" $5 dempsy , kick the shit outta 2 3" $10 oscars killed everything his size,,, had to put him in a tank with larger fish, for the other fishes safty.
I'll learn more when these guys move into my 37 gal ,,,hopefully with a few female rams,,and lots more plants.
My avatar pic is a blue ram that just lit up from the camera flash.

Kingstature

Dempseysand rams oh what?

Your keeping Dempseys with Ram's? How long is that gonna last?
But as far as new world cichlids you know this is my specialty and I love them so here is a list a my Top Dozen Favorites

1. Peacock Bass
2. Salvini
3. Midas
4. Discus
5. Geophagus Altifrons
6. Flowerhorns
7. A. Festae
8. Red Devil
9. Wolf Cichlid
10. Bowfins
11. Crenicichla ( Xingu 1 )
12. Uaru
I took pic below of my uaru that I got with a tank purchase but in pic you can see the Ich because of the poor water quality and low water temps... Just thought it was a good pic so I thought I would share as I still have not found any more Uaru Locally...
IMG_0127.jpg
:king:

A

Anonymous

uaru

I have seen them at apfp, and the wet spot only. I would call those two and see if thet can get them in. I'm pretty sure kevin at a place for pets is just waiting for enough special orders before he makes an order. I already put in an order for pearsei. So give them a call.

My top 12

1 salvini
2 blackbelt
3 argentea
4 green terror
5 festea
6 pearsei
7 boucourti
8 jag
9 friedrichsthalii
10 loiseli
11 mota
12 nicaraguenses

Kingstature

Ive got those as well

Hey, VW
I have a Blackbelt Im looking to trade for something else getting to big for tank he is in.. He is currently about 10-12" inches big if your interested, Oh I also have Jaguar babies about 1.5" big if you need some of those as well.... :king:

A

Anonymous

What are you looking for? I will glady take some fish off your hands. Pm me I might have something you want.

nwcichlids

favorite new world cichlid

for me it's a tie between the wolf and the umbee with cichla close on their heels. i own all three and they got killer :lol!: personailty great colours and make a great wow factor when adults.

Clogstonian

I like the little guys/gals; Apisto trifasciata(sp) & Taeniacara candidi, I have one male and two females (TC's), they tend to snack on my RCS but the pop is holding steady despite the predation. The baby BN's have to run the Candidi gauntlet too but there are lots of places to hide in my tank and I have a growing pop which I'll need to thin sometime soon.

I don't think I have the pH low enough to successful get them to breed although they constant display courting behavior.

I hesitate to mention my Darwinian set up as some of you may think this cruel.(don't scroll down if you don't want to see the food chain at work. female candidi with a albino pleco)

Clog
dscn7110.jpg

dscn7112.jpg
dscn7310.jpg

sandnuka

Lol.... Gluttons, american cichlids are!!!! look, its almost bigger than him! lol.... I love it, great picture! and beautiful fish..love the rainbow colors in the dorsal... just beautiful.

Clogstonian

sandnuka said:
Lol.... Gluttons, american cichlids are!!!! look, its almost bigger than him! lol.... I love it, great picture! and beautiful fish..love the rainbow colors in the dorsal... just beautiful.

Thanks, got these at the Roosevelt store, they look pretty drab there but brighten up as they mature.

I anthropomorphise(sp) but doesn't she look a little guilty with her mouth full of pleco!? ...."dang, I hope he doesn't see eating this!"

jettej

I don't have my own New World Cichlids for now but I'll go for P. scalare (Angelfish) I like the way they call them Angelfish but the attitude towards other kind of fish is EVIL! hahaha :twisted:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
My short list:
Midas
Red Devil
Oscar
Jaguar
Dovii