What's your favorite Freshwater plant? Colorful, flowering, hardy??

Ripples

I love the leafy look of the Anubius nana but the purple color on the Limnophila aromatica is amazing!
My favorite color is purple so if I can get more of it in my tank it will make me happy :)

Gourami Girl

It produces really big pearls as you can see in the photo. Pretty fast growing too. Has been a real pleasure to keep, but VERY red all the time. It makes it hard to find balance.

Ripples

That is awesome that it is both aquatic and land! I'd love to see the flowers... I really want to get some plants that go through seasons.

hyp3rcrav3

Many aquarium plants are actually bog plants. Some can stay submerged indefinately and others must be grown emmersed (only roots wet) part of the time. Do I have a favorite? Impossible for me to choose.

Ripples

Oh... I didn't know that... >_> I guess it is time for me to research my current plants to make sure that they can remain fully submersed.

cichlid-gal

I just want plants that look like the ones in the pics...PLEASE!!!! I'm learning but boy is it slow going...luck with some and others just "die on the vine" so to speak. Trying hard to get that great balance that will give me those beautiful plants that I see in the pictures.

A

Anonymous

cichlid-gal said:
I just want plants that look like the ones in the pics...PLEASE!!!!  I'm learning but boy is it slow going...luck with some and others just "die on the vine" so to speak.  Trying hard to get that great balance that will give me those beautiful plants that I see in the pictures.
Your on your way Donna. What you said perfectly explains the process. Some grow for you, some die. Plants look like crap, weird algae's form.... It can be slow at 1st. But, you will learn & the plants will grow, and 1 day everything will come together...

A

Anonymous

For some reason Hygrophila polysperma  'Rosanervig'  has become an interesting plant in my aquarium. I seem to be fixating on it a bit so I would have to say its a current favorite, (Love red plants).
The plant I have was came in with a shipment of Stargrass from Poke. I wasn't interested in the plant at all but it started growing these matured leaves about 3-4 inches long, pink to red in color and you can totally see the vanes in the leaves. I'm keeping it n check because I don't need another background plant but it looks good poking up from a field of Stargrass.

Ripples

I think that might be the plant I had seen at my petsmart... I'm not sure though, but it looked EXTREMELY similar to that! If you ever have any clippings or if it starts creating new shoots, however it spreads, I would love to get my hands on some!

hyp3rcrav3

A lot of plants don't like to be transplanted in the winter. It shouldn't matter because of lighting but some just have these internal clocks and won't grow until spring. That makes them susceptible infections until they spring back to life. Some don't care what time of year it is and just go for it.

For instance, it amazes me that Aponogeton know to go dormant in the autumn no matter how much light there is. I have been lucky this last time around. They have survived without me pulling them from the water. They need Carbon or the corm doesn't store enough food (carbohydrate) to survive. We'll see how well they look come spring.

A

Anonymous

Ripples said:
I think that might be the plant I had seen at my petsmart... I'm not sure though, but it looked EXTREMELY similar to that! If you ever have any clippings or if it starts creating new shoots, however it spreads, I would love to get my hands on some!
Sure, I don't mine sharing. However, I did just clip it back yesterday for our Plant It Forward so it maybe a while. I'll keep you in mind and let you know!

Ripples

All of these are amazing looking plants :)
anyone know of any different colored plants? Orange, yellow, purple, blue?
my new mission is a rainbow planted tank.

Jubs

For me personally I think what plant isn't my favorite is an easier question to answer lol. I can grow it all day but, I can't seem to stop using it when I do nano layouts is HC aka Hemianthus callitrichoides! I have a love hate relationship with it but I always seem to have some laying around in some tank after I swear it off.

There are just so many species of plants out there that I have grown and haven't had a chance to get ahold of yet to pick just one species! I think my favorite I've grown to date has been Blyxa japonica, I was able to get deep red hues out of it like it was Blyxa aubertii (no it wasn't actually Blyxa aubertii, big difference in the size).

hyp3rcrav3

I got a little tiny piece of HC in a 'R.A.O.K. - Plant It Forward' package. It didn't do we'll in the course gravel since there was so little of it, so I have put the segments in a vivarium. I will let them grow out there and then slowly acclimate to submersed. Should take a year maybe 2. It is a challenge.