What's growing on my plant?

lingotheowl

I have an aquatic combo plant that I purchased from petco a couple months ago. Since I got it, it seems to have attracted quite a bit of algae and now clear stuff is growing off of it as well. I'm new to planted tanks, so I don't know much. I have aquarium plant lighting, I use leaf zone, fertilizer, and co2 booster in my tankspare but I don't have a co2 system. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's not growing mold or anything like that.

lingotheowl

I have an aquatic combo plant that I purchased from petco a couple months ago. Since I got it, it seems to have attracted quite a bit of algae and now clear stuff is growing off of it as well. I'm new to planted tanks, so I don't know much. I have aquarium plant lighting, I use leaf zone, fertilizer, and co2 booster in my tankspare but I don't have a co2 system. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's not growing mold or anything like that.

20160513_084452.jpg

Mike16T

What kind of light (Brand wise also) do you have? Size of tank? Water parameters? How often do you feed livestock and how much?

lingotheowl

Not sure the brand of light, it's 36" and it's from petsmart. The tank is a 29 Gallon and all my water tests have been fine except for a couple weeks ago there were some nitrites but I took care of it, pH is neutral, no ammonia however I had a baby angel die last night. I did a 60% water change after I removed him. I feed the once in the morning and once at night. Usually a variety of bloodworms, flakes, shrimp, Brine shrimp etc. I recently cut back on how much I was feeding them as well. Probably about a teaspoon of food twice a day.

Mike16T

Not sure the brand of light, it's 36" and it's from petsmart. The tank is a 29 Gallon and all my water tests have been fine except for a couple weeks ago there were some nitrites but I took care of it, pH is neutral, no ammonia however I had a baby angel die last night. I did a 60% water change after I removed him. I feed the once in the morning and once at night. Usually a variety of bloodworms, flakes, shrimp, Brine shrimp etc. I recently cut back on how much I was feeding them as well. Probably about a teaspoon of food twice a day.

Is it a newly set up tank? How many fish and plants do you have in the tank?

Bob

This is why i hate Petsmart/Petco, that is not a fully aquatic plant. It is a bamboo plant Dracaena Braunii, that will slowly die off under water. They sell these "semi" aquatic plants mixed in with aquatic plants. It does say on they label it's semi aquatic, but since they sell them mixed in with aquatic plants it's deceiving.

Also depending on how many fish you have, 2 teaspoons of food a day seems excessive for 29 gallons. Cutting that back could help, also how long are your lights left on?

lingotheowl

The tank is relatively new, about a couple months I suppose. I have anubis on driftwood, regular anubis, cabomba , amazon sword plant, and creeping jenny. I have 6 blood fin tetras, female crown tail betta, betta pallifina, 3 quarter sized angelfish, a neon gourami, 3 Khuli loaches, and 2 snails. I found out yesterday evening that the plant was semi aquatic and I removed it. Thank you :)