What type of pleco is this?

cichlid-gal

Can someone help with the ID of this guy?  He is in my 55G growout...seems different from my common pleco and highfin pleco.  Just wondering what he might be?

P1150817_zpsabc4a489.jpg

Madness

Staff member
it looks like a common.  I have 5 commons and a sail fin and they all look different in color and pattern.  If you have any full body shots of it maybe I can tell a little better, but it looks like a common. :(

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Yeah I'd guess common too. I have two in my 125 and they look similar to this one. The rounded circles can also be seen on marble horn plecos but I remember that they are a more carmel brown color

cichlid-gal

My big common male doesn't look like this one at all...he has no color...just grey and dark. This guy has so much color...maybe it's just age or the tank background.

cichlid-gal

sgas said:
Go to planetcatfish.com for all catfish species details and pictures/
There are hundreds there...I couldn't find it unless I spent hours looking for it and even then I'd probably be confused. C-Numbers, CW-Numbers, L-Numbers, LDA-Numbers, and about 30 families of them...I'm lost. Thought it was easier to ask.

Madness

Staff member
cichlid-gal said:
sgas said:
There are hundreds there...I couldn't find it unless I spent hours looking for it and even then I'd probably be confused. C-Numbers, CW-Numbers, L-Numbers, LDA-Numbers, and about 30 families of them...I'm lost.  Thought it was easier to ask.
I agree. :) I frequent that site quite often, and I couldnt find any. Im still waiting for another pic. ;)

anthony

I think it is a leopard pleco. I almost got one along time ago. I was told a leopard pleco but leopard sailfin might be correct. I'm not claiming to be anything close to an expert on plecos.

cichlid-gal

Madness said:
cichlid-gal said:
sgas said:
There are hundreds there...I couldn't find it unless I spent hours looking for it and even then I'd probably be confused. C-Numbers, CW-Numbers, L-Numbers, LDA-Numbers, and about 30 families of them...I'm lost.  Thought it was easier to ask.
I agree. :)I frequent that site quite often, and I couldnt find any.  Im still waiting for another pic. ;) 
I'll try to do that tomorrow Madness :( just too dang busy.

CrazedAce

How big is it? How long have you had it? What does it eat? What are the tank mates?

I have a common in my 30gal with my vics, and his patterns are red, probably from what I feed them. Try to get a shot of the dorsal fin up. :D