What trick do you use for crystal clear water?

protocl

Shannon said:
I use 50 pound of lava rock in a 50 g drum , a 50 pound of pee rock in a 50 g drum , 2 pool pumps " intex" , 2 uv lights 36 watts , 8 tr apdoor snails, some frish water clames , 1 home made bio fillters, well its all 1 big fillter .LOL , alot of luck , 2 water falls if you what to call theam that . = crystal clear pond water,
I have over 1200g so i dont change the water , or try not too
I move 1800g a hr trew it all.

I cannot even imagine the work it would take to WC. Pond.
Water changing, maintaining my 180G is work already.

icer711

protocl said:
Shannon said:
I use 50 pound of lava rock in a 50 g drum , a 50 pound of pee rock in a 50 g drum , 2 pool pumps " intex" , 2 uv lights 36 watts , 8 tr apdoor snails, some frish water clames , 1 home made bio fillters, well its all 1 big fillter .LOL , alot of luck , 2 water falls if you what to call theam that . = crystal clear pond water,
I have over 1200g so i dont change the water , or try not too
I move 1800g a hr trew it all.

I cannot even imagine the work it would take to WC. Pond.
Water changing, maintaining my 180G is work already.
believe the bigger it is the less work you have to do and longer time in between....? feel free to fill in shannon....

icer711

my understanding that the bigger the filter get/tanks the easier they are to maintain cause there is way more give and tank... trying to keep a 30gl stable takes a lot of work compared to a 100g.. now 1200gl with 170g worth of filtration now i sure it get touched... once a month or somewhere between 3-6 months and sure it take little to no time to clean it out with the way they got it set up sounds like its going from one barrel to the next like a bin in a canister filter.... so its a 3 stage filtration system but with 55g worth of media in each tray.... one day :lol: i have to do it all at once and ask shannon for help getting it going

icer711

how longs it been running? you got picts would love to see them get me to dram :D maybe a central filtration on all my tanks :D one day

icer711

cool thanks for the info hey there also is a guy that sells bio bail for cheep protocl and i use it on a small scale and it works great, but if suppose to work wonders a large scale like you have, just an idea if your re-doing my wanna look into it as well as what you got going... cant wait to see the picts :D

A

Anonymous

I never used carbon untill a few months ago and wow what a difference.
I was told once that carbon only lasts 10 days or so and i've found that to be untrue.
Shawn at a place for pets said the carbon canister they use for all incoming water to the store is 5 or more years old and still workin great.

My 400 gallon cichlid tank use to get yellow rite befor its water changes. But thats a thing of the past now.

I'm running 2 FX5s and a 40 gallon wet dry. I was using fine partical pads in the FX5s but they clogged up befor the sponges and i had to clean them every two weeks. Now its more like 4-6 weeks between cleaning

The wet dry has a sheet of odyssea brand thick blue floss and it takes a month or more for it to fill up. I now run 1 liter of odyssea premium activated carbon in a mesh bag behind the wier in the w/d and change it every two months.

I am ruinning a MD1800 pump from the wet dry back to the tank and a Rio 950 gph through a 36 watt UV back into the resivor of the w/d only because im using a 750 watt HID light fixture and i was havin an alge problem.

UV equals no alge or harmfull bactieria or parasites living in your water.

Carbon equals no color no smell and less build up of toxic chemicals.

I also run a 550 gph power head to help keep poo piles from building up on bottom

sonnys503

fishaddict said:
I never used carbon untill a few months ago and wow what a difference.
I was told once that carbon only lasts 10 days or so and i've found that to be untrue.
Shawn at a place for pets said the carbon canister they use for all incoming water to the store is 5 or more years old and still workin great.

My 400 gallon cichlid tank use to get yellow rite befor its water changes. But thats a thing of the past now.

I'm running 2 FX5s and a 40 gallon wet dry. I was using fine partical pads in the FX5s but they clogged up befor the sponges and i had to clean them every two weeks. Now its more like 4-6 weeks between cleaning

The wet dry has a sheet of odyssea brand thick blue floss and it takes a month or more for it to fill up. I now run 1 liter of odyssea premium activated carbon in a mesh bag behind the wier in the w/d and change it every two months.

I am ruinning a MD1800 pump from the wet dry back to the tank and a Rio 950 gph through a 36 watt UV back into the resivor of the w/d only because im using a 750 watt HID light fixture and i was havin an alge problem.

UV equals no alge or harmfull bactieria or parasites living in your water.

Carbon equals no color no smell and less build up of toxic chemicals.

I also run a 550 gph power head to help keep poo piles from building up on bottom

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^If you can afford it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If not,
A Magnum 350, I don't like these filters but for polishing the water they are great!
A Ocean Clear canister, these are much easier to work with but are harder to find used.
Run a Fx5 on anything smaller than a 90 gallon and you will have crystal clear water, :) anything above 90 X2 FX5 and a wet dry filter and you will be good.

protocl

icer711 said:
cool thanks for the info hey there also is a guy that sells bio bail for cheep protocl and i use it on a small scale and it works great, but if suppose to work wonders a large scale like you have, just an idea if your re-doing my wanna look into it as well as what you got going... cant wait to see the picts :D
yup...im using the bale and it is great! one of those - look hard, and you will find a gem; kinda thing.
cheap, high surface area, never collects grim and light in weight.

plus, bio bale does not decrease water flow within the canisters of mine.

Spyral

Polishing pads as the last filtration step (even in an HOB filter, I cut them to size and stuff them in there) and a UV sterilizer will keep anything crystal clear.

hbluehunter

My setup is almost the same as fishaddict's, i need to look into the UV though.. I have the pump just need to pring for the UV.. Also quit using carbon a couple years ago, hmm maybe i should throw some back in the sump..

Kaie

In my 55gal i have 3 AC70s with bulk pond filter stuffed up the intake tubes and packed tight inside the filter its self w/ SeaChem Purigen & Matrix filled bags. I do water changes practically never. Usually just to clean up the rocks.

You seem to have plenty of filtering going on. But you're right thats a lot of fish.

Ashley

UV sterilizer, polisher pads from fluval, cleaning out the tank after feeding, using a sump along with a canister, diatom filter