What to get? Shell/Rock dweller combo

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
A while back I gave my friend my 20L set up and it is now cycled and ready for fish. He has a fine sand and shells already in it but now comes the stock.... What to put in it?

Here is the catch, we are driving down to Portland next weekend to The Wet Spot for his stock. He wants some type of shellie but also would like to possibly add a rock dweller or two.... help with suggestions. Anthraxx you out there?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Forgot to add the tank will have a small bristle nose pleco in it as the clean up crew, he was used to help cycle the tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Duh, I also signed up for http://www.shelldwellers.com a while back. Turns out Chad asked almost what I was looking for regarding 'julidochromis and shellie mix'

Anthraxx responded on that one: "ONLY get transcriptus or ornatus when selecting Julies. they're both really passive to other tank mates and stay nice and small. "

What about Paracyprichromis nigripinnis in the tank?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I think you'd do better with cyprichromis species as opposed to the paracyps. The cyps will spawn mid water and don't need caves etc. Think of them as mouthbrooding tetras.

Bob

DMD123 said:
Cyprichromis leptosoma

I am wanting to do the same thing with my multis, and that is a good looking fish.

I agree with not going with julidochromis. I have about ten of them in a different tank and just from watching the two, i dont think their personalities would mix well. Though i will say the julis are super entertaining.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Tomorrow heading down to Wet Spot and see what my friend ends ups with....

Thanks for the video Cory, will pass this along and see what my friend decides.