What spawned in your tank(s) today!

deddy89

i enjoy reading who is breeding what!

i stripped a blue acei, blue alhi, and afra cobue tonight!
about 120 eggs between the 3, still have calico Bn fry hiding in a cave

clifford

Another batch of Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock Gudgeons) started tumbling out of their rearing tube tonight. A few of the fry are free swimming, but most can barely wiggle yet. This was the biggest clump I could easily get with my phone (around 20 of them), there are probably 100 or so total.

IMG_6351.jpg

Here's a snap of the tube I pulled, showing the male guarding the entrance, with a few tank mates milling around. Before you make a comment about how classy my glass bobbles are-- consider the following. There are typically 5 breeding sites in this 30 long (I pull and replace them as they are used, since they'll pick off the babies as soon as they swim if I leave them in the tank) at any given time, and they almost always use the one by the dark glass. The glass was added because I wanted something darker in the tank than any of the rocks I had on hand, and the fish show off their colors quite a bit more with a darker background environment.

There are only 8 fish in this tank, and typically at least half of them are hanging out by the beads at any given (non-feeding) time. When I find some darker rock I can try swapping it out, but for now this seems to work. The PVC is ugly too (and I should probably at least find some black tubes). I have a couple of terracota caves (and lots of rock) in the tank, but 90% of the time they choose the PVC tubes. This is kind of a blessing as the tubes are much easier to pull out of the tank, and I can pre-drill the ends (which are plugged with leca to prevent snail predation) to accept airline tubing. After I notice a male guarding for a few days, I pull the tube and place in a separate container. Using an awl (or paperclip, etc), I move the leca past the drilled hole and push in an airline, which makes an automatic egg/fry bubbler to prevent them from suffocating or molding. (basically doing the job the male was already doing, but not eating them as soon as they're a moving target.)
IMG_6334.jpg

deddy89

stripped a rusty tonight, didnt realize she was holding till now, pretty much free swimmers with egg sacs almost gone!