What is this?

Knutsen1122

Please help! I noticed this two days ago on my amphilophus labiatus, all three of them. Now today none of my fish are really eating. What could this be? What's the best treatment?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423284850.097531.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423284850.097531.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 76
A

Anonymous

Man, I am unable to find anything on the web. With luck this will bump to the top and someone else will chime in.

A

Anonymous

Common Name: Velvet
Pathogen/Cause: Oodinium limneticum, Oodinium limneticum (FW) , Oodinium ocellatum (Marine counterpart)
Physical Signs: Powder-like white, grey or gold dusting on surface of fish (finer than ich, more similiar to the consistency of talc).
Behavioral Signs: Scratching against objects (skin irritation), clamped fins.
Potential Treatment: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals General Cure, Jungle Velvet Guard, also, many of the same cures for ich and other parasitic diseases will work.
Other Notes: Same warnings for treatment as with ich.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_pal ... tml#Velvet

There is a bunch of other stuff in the link with pictures.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
My Oscar is going through this right now.
2cx8gab.jpg

Not sure if it is the same issue but I went through a few different treatments and so far Triple Sulfa has proved to be the most effective. My fish does not flash or stopped eating so Im not sure if it is close to what you have going on.

Madness

Staff member
its not velvet, velvet looks a lot like ich but much smaller like somebody took sawdust or powdered sugar and threw it on your fish thats what velvet looks like. I'd be willing to guess that you have a lot of ammonia in the tank check your parameters make sure you do not have ammonia or nitrites in the tank. To me it looks like ammonia burn and the fish is losing its slime coat.

A

Anonymous

What is PH in your tank before a water change. And the PH of the tap water out of the faucet?

KaraWolf

Ack! Does it look like their skin is peeling off? I got a batch of lemon tetras do that and ended up treating for a bacterial infection. Didnt get meds soon enough to save most of them but it prevented it from spreading to the rest.
The pH reading is weird but that wouldnt cause a problem unless it was a recent quick change. Getting it back to 7 immediately will do more harm then not due to shock

Knutsen1122

KaraWolf said:
Ack! Does it look like their skin is peeling off? I got a batch of lemon tetras do that and ended up treating for a bacterial infection. Didnt get meds soon enough to save most of them but it prevented it from spreading to the rest.
The pH reading is weird but that wouldnt cause a problem unless it was a recent quick change. Getting it back to 7 immediately will do more harm then not due to shock
It does look like their skin is peeling. Sorry about your tetras, but that has to be the same thing. I'm going to clean everything in my tank today and do a big wc. Not enough to dramatically change the ph though. What did you end up treating them with?

A

Anonymous

Knutsen1122 said:
But if it is amonia burn how can the amonia spike so high in an established tank?

Knutsen1122 said:
So some how the ph in my tank is reading 6 [emoji16] tap is 7.2

Couldn't this have something to do with ammonia burn?

P.H under 7.0 under moderate temperatures restructures ammonia into ammonium (NH4+) which is non toxic. One would think at this point the biological filtration would restructure itself.

So, when you do a water change your PH may change quickly putting the fishes immune system and other stuff in danger. Once the P.H jumps up to 7.0+ all the ammonium converts back to ammonia and thus burning the fish.

In theory...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariu ... 85477.html

A

Anonymous

^ So, it may not be just one thing. It could be both a quick PH swing, and ammonia....

A

Anonymous

If what I posted is contributing to whatever is going on with your fish (or even of its not) you may want to consider adding a natural buffer (or more if you are all ready using buffers) to stop the PH from getting so low. And or smaller water changes to minimize paramiter fluxes. Keeping the P.H close to what it comes out as in the tap will help any major PH swings during a water change.

KaraWolf

Small water changes every day for several days instead of big are going to do you the most good when it comes to your pH, they can handle little changes in pH fine, but when it starts jumping more then say .2 they start having shock issues. Every time you go up/down a whole number in pH you actually have 100 fold difference in H+ in the water and the fish are rather sensitive.
I ended up treating with KanaPlex which has the active ingredient kanamycin.