What is the most you’ve ever spent on a fish?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Genuinely curious about this one…… I have owned many expensive fish that I picked up for pennys on the dollar( bichirs for example) from hobbyist that had lost interest in them, but the most I have ever spent on a singular fish was when I purchased a 4.5” yellow jardini arrowana. I purchased it from blue Sierra right after graduating college and starting my teaching career. This was back in 2003-2004ish and I spent $150 for it as it was a rarer color than the average jardini that was orange and blue in the silver scales and those ran about $50 at the time. We all know now that any jardini will be a minimum of $100 no matter how small. I don’t have any pics of my personal fish, but here is a google image of a yellow jardini for reference….
77265BF8-F088-4B94-95B8-2F0E8F140F31.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
For me for just a single fish was $185, it was for a wild caught Koliba lap. koliba day2_1.jpg
This was the fish that didnt make it for even the weekend. It came in on a Friday and had jumped out over the weekend. Even with a full glass top it managed to pop the lid and got out. This was with the thinner style glass tops.

But most I ever spent on a single purchase at one time on fish was about $350 for two wild caught bichirs, my endli and another Koliba lap I had. (includes shipping).

Sadly I dont even flinch to spend $100 on a fish anymore, lol.

John58Ford

I know just from visiting some of you that I'm on the lower side here. The first hybrid GBR in my collection ended up costing about $75, but I wanted a specific person's stock, shipped from new York, in December. Would have been a $25 fish otherwise, he even threw in a different hybrid to see if I liked it because the shipping was so high he felt bad lol.

I really personally find the most money I have spent to be on schools, not individuals, 18 fish @ $7 adds up pretty quick.

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Now that I think about it, I've never spent all that much for a single fish, but as the kinds of fishes I keep generally need to be kept in social groups, I usually buy schools (like @John58Ford), and a single order of wild Tanganyikans can easily run $500-600.

The most expensive Tanganyikans that are generally available are Cyphotilapia frontosa and the various Petrochromis species, both of which are pretty big fishes, at least by African standards. I've never been tempted by either of these.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
There are some really weird things that happen when fish taxonomy gets transmutated into common names in the hobby, but calling this monster a 'tetra' has to be one of the all time jaw-droppers. :eek:

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 10.30.06 AM.png

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
There are some really weird things that happen when fish taxonomy gets transmutated into common names in the hobby, but calling this monster a 'tetra' has to be one of the all time jaw-droppers. :eek:

So true…. And I’ve never heard of them accepting anything but live feeders

Orthopod

Genuinely curious about this one…… I have owned many expensive fish that I picked up for pennys on the dollar( bichirs for example) from hobbyist that had lost interest in them, but the most I have ever spent on a singular fish was when I purchased a 4.5” yellow jardini arrowana. I purchased it from blue Sierra right after graduating college and starting my teaching career. This was back in 2003-2004ish and I spent $150 for it as it was a rarer color than the average jardini that was orange and blue in the silver scales and those ran about $50 at the time. We all know now that any jardini will be a minimum of $100 no matter how small. I don’t have any pics of my personal fish, but here is a google image of a yellow jardini for reference….
View attachment 10551
My guess is that fish price tag would currently start at $5000 for a tiny individual of the original ARO posted but looking at the picture I am not so sure it’s not formosus (Asian). The price tag would probably be higher if it’s a true jardini though b/ I have never seen one. It may be a one of a kind fish - which could shoot it into the 6 digit range.

I am avoiding the original question but let’s just say this hobby can be expensive and I like nice fish, lol.

Last edited: