What does cichlids look like when their pregnant?

A

Anonymous

So I lost a couple of my frys today because I didnt know which one was pregnant!!! :( I've been looking at my cichlids each and everyday! Didnt notice any weird behavior from them at all. Now I just want to know what does cichlids look like when their pregnant? So if you can post up some pictures of how they look when pregnant. Dont want it to happen again since I love my cichlids and would love to add more to my family and put some in my sister tank. Thanks Guys/Gals

sandnuka

looks like you have some african cichlids listed in your tanks... if those are the ones your thinking are pregnant you wouldnt tell by there tummy's, they are mouth brooders.... they fertilize the egg, then hold it in ther mouth and raise the young like that.... its really cool if you havent seen it before...

Also you will notice they get pretty aggressive and stay in one spot, they wont eat much at all either... if there were just fry swimming in the tank, then they have already left the mothers mouth and have to fend for themselves... in a cichlid tank that is nearly impossible and they will get eaten by others... or maybe even mom and dad. :( get a egg tumbler and learn to strip if you plan on breeding your fish.

Im guessing they were not cichlid fry... you got other fish in there too right?

Betty

Staff member
vTxPeter said:
Now I just want to know what does cichlids look like when their pregnant? So if you can post up some pictures of how they look when pregnant.
"Pregnant" African cichlids. You will notice the throat or chin area is distended. She might look like she's chewing on something as she is rotating the eggs inside her mouth and like sand said, not eating much or maybe not at all.

IMG_7508.jpg

It can be a subtle difference in appearance.
IMG_2053.jpg

Or very obvious!
holding.jpg

And sometimes you can even see the developing babies through the mom's mouth.
276da42c.jpg

They will normally hold the eggs in their mouths from 21 to 28 days, sometimes more or less.

sandnuka

I LOVE THOSE SHOTS BETTY!!!! just stunning...... how the cherry spots doin? you ever get those guys breeding... no more bloat problems right??

A

Anonymous

thanks so much ill be keeping my eyes out for them now. Once I am able to save more in the near future Ill post up some pictures. Once again thanks

Madness

Staff member
The question now is. Do you know how to strip the fish, and get the fry out?

Betty

Staff member
Sand, the cherry spots are doing well -- no more bloat other than when they first arrived. They've spawned a few times and there are a few survivors, but I do not like to strip and have no room to raise fry anyway, so there aren't a lot of babies.

AE86-Danny

vTxPeter said:
Hopefully Ive been youtubing lol
its really not that bad.

grab the fish out of there (be gentle, no crazy chasing with the net, because she will get spooked and spit alot of the guys out)

in your hand gently wiggle their jaw open and give a very slight very soft squeeze behind their gills.

if you cover the gills the fish cannot breathe, make sure the fish gills can move freely.

basically have the fish spit them out into some clean water and thats all.